tristan68

Mar 14, 2001
my friend just got a 82 yz490, after riding it, i now fully respect all the old school riders out there who raced that bike, its a handful.

question is: since 1982 does anyone know if any frame changes occured, or major updates, and when did the front disc come? could a full front end forks, triple clamps wheel/disc bolt directly to his bike?

mxkid

Jun 6, 2000
1983- rear suspension linkage design was changed
1985- front disc brake added & bike colors changed from yellow/black to white/red. And I think this was the first year for the "BASS" system.
1986- 5 speed tranny added
1988- cartridge forks added
1990- last year produced

Those are the updates I can recall. I don't know about the frame changes, I don't think it had any major changes in it's lifespan.

Not sure about the front end swap, sorry!!!

Hope this helps.

RJ

Sumo

Apr 17, 2000
If this bike is all stock, I suggest he just learns how to ride it as it is. When he is done with it, it will be worth more money because a lot of people are looking for these to restore and race.They are great fun to ride and they are not such a handfull when they are dialed in. Dialing it in is a tough task because the thing gets so hot, and proper jetting is very difficult to get. Starting it is the biggest problem. Handling is balanced very well and competitive in the evo (evolution)class. Also,dragging your feet is an option to stop any of these old bikes,(just kidding).
Sumo

Top Bottom