DID X-Ring masterlink

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
What's the deal?
The clip wouldn't fit into the grooves.. Almost as though the grooves weren't wide enough or deep enough. Both pins were the same. I ended up breaking the clip in half when trying to push it on with pliers.
I'm using my old Regina O-ring masterlink with no problems, but the old clip from it wouldn't fit into the new DID masterlink pin grooves either. Is this common? I've never experienced this before, but this is my first DID X-ring chain (VM series).:silly:

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Were you sure you had the sideplate on the link all the way. I had the same problem and was about to sstart flinging tools when my wife looked (I wasn't wearing my glasses) and said something that sounded like "you moron you don't have the grooves showing" Curse those who can see closeup without glasses.:silly:
A simple extra squeeze with a needle nose did the trick

Hondaxrguy

May 17, 2001
I had a VERY hard time getting it on as well. It was only because I couldn't get the link compressed completely to expose the entire groove. I think I ended up having to use a C-clamp.:p

Jeremy

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
That was my first thought, and I didn't.. so I tried harder and it still wouldn't squeeze on. I pulled the side plate off and tried to slip just the clip over the bare pin(s) and the clip wouldn't fit into the grooves, side plate or no side plate. It wasn't an issue with having it pressed tight enough, but the grooves being too small for the clip (and the two other clips I tried).

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
great....
I have a D.I.D. x-ring chain in a box at home, waiting to go on with sprockets and rear tire....
Let me know if you get it on and any other tips...
oh yeah, I wanted to pick up a spare master link, you said your regina works as well? just in case i am at shop and can substitute

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
After my experience last night I flipped through the Chaparral catalog. They have a chain press tool for 20.00. It looks like it would be a wise investment for the next time around.

??? I have a spare 520 std. (non o-ring) masterlink in my tool bag. Will this work in a pinch for trail side repairs?

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
I'm thinking maybe I got a bad masterlink.. I'd check yours to see if the clip fits into the grooves on the pin.
I just took off my Regina O-ring and kept the masterlink, luckily. It worked fine, I just used the rubber rings, clip and new side plate from the new DID masterlink on the old main part. If there your masterlink doesn't work either, a Regina o-ring masterlink will work fine.

As to the chain press tool, it wasn't matter of the pins not coming through far enough. A chain press tool wouldn't have made any difference. It's the grooves on the pins being too small for the clip, any clip. Whether it's on the chain or apart in my hand, the clip won't fit into the grooves.

kciH

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 28, 2002
I just put one of these on my 426 and it sucked! Take a vice grip, preferably a long, thin nosed one and set it so it will lock just a bitter narrower than the chain. Press the side plate on as hard as you can without pinching your hand, make sure it's on all the way. Now get set to do some cursing, and put the clip on. That simple.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
DID X-ring

The masterlink plate is very hard to press on far enough to see enough of the clip grooves. I placed a small nut (6 mm?) over a post hole, and squeezed that a little with vice grips (not too much though). I then moved the nut over the other post hole and repeated. I kept doing this back and forth, gradually working the plate down far enough to expose the grooves completely.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Ok, I must not be coming across clearly.. Plate or no plate, the grooves will not accept the clip. Hell, if I have the masterlink in the bench vice with NO side plate or NOTHING, the clip will not slip into the grooves. No amount of squeezing on the side plate will make any difference on this. I tried pressing the clip into the groove, and it broke in half. Simply, either the grooves are too narrow or too shallow. I tried 3 different clips, none of them fit so I know it's not the clip.
Go figure.

kciH

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 28, 2002
The clip will go on, it just takes a lot of messing around. When you first put it on it doesnt appear to fit properly until you ride it once. It is terrible to get on. I was glad to have ordered two extra masters with the chain, as I lost one of the clips just trying to get it on. Make sure the rings are centered on the pins when you compress the side plate on. It's supposed to be tight, otherwise it would not seal. One bad link in the chain will defeat the whole purpose, so it has to seal tight. If you think it's hard to get on, just try to take it off!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…