Skid Jackson

Nov 1, 2000
Does anyone know what temp Exxon would winter mix it's diesel down to so it won't gel?? I got a machine that we plow w/and noticed that the fuel i was putting into it wouldn't pour right. Sure enough the damn stuff had gelled. the outside temp was about +10 F which isn't that cold. I took care of it w/some anti gel, but they are suppose to run a winter mix right from the pump. When we had our own pump we had it mixed to -40. i've been getting fuel from this station for years now, and never had a gel problem. I just want to know because i gotta go grip to the manager. When the snow flies this machines gotta work. I don't need a parking lot full of snow and a dead diesel on my hands. Location is NH. I would think they would mix it to at least -30. Thought anyone??

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I wouldn't know about your actual question but when the weather gets bad we add about 10% kerosene<5 gall.jug to 65 gall.tank>. Unfortunately that can cause high exhaust temps and loss of power when the weather gets normal

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Depending on how fast that location goes through diesel they might have had some summer fuel sitting in there and then had the winter blend added to it so the winter blend became less effective. I always dump in some Stanadyne Performance addative to my truck and tractor just to keep things from possibly giving me fits with a cold snap but more for the long term positive effects it has on the injection system. If I lived where it got seriously cold on a regular basis you can be sure I'd be adding some anti-gel every time I fueled up. The performance of my vehicle is my responsibility, leaving it up to somebody else is asking for trouble.

Vytas

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 31, 2001
I just bought my second vehicle with a 7.3L PSD and I pour in Stanadyne with every fill up regardless of the temperature.&nbsp; My F250SD sits outside and right now the temp is about +10 degrees F and have had no problems with gelling.&nbsp; I try to purchase fuel at a truck stop that is close to my house so that the turn around time on fuel is faster.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
I just barely beat the bullet. I haven't been able to drive my 250PSD since dirtweek and still had fuel in it from then. I finally fired it up last weekend and filled it up with winterblend- the temp went below zero Monday. Now if I had only rememberred to plug it in. Yesterday it took a lot of cranking to fire it over. Plugged in last night it started this morning as if it was mid August

Top Bottom