Diff between heavier oil and harder valving

mafrif

Mar 2, 2004
I searched but couldnt find anything.
I ride a 00 cr 250. My rear shock blew out last week, i ordered new bushings, oil and dust seals. I was planning on revalving later this year when i get some money. Ive tore down my forks before, so when i revalve ill do that myself, but i really dont feel like doing the shock. So my real question is, if i use 7.5 weight instead of 5, is that pretty similar to valving a little stiffer. Will it effect my rebound to much, i would probably have to go really fast rebound to get the similar rebound i have now?

Or should i just buy the valves now and get it done with and be really broke?

Thanks for the input.

Chad

dale williams

Feb 3, 2000
Heaver oil will lower the maximum speed that the shock can travel. It will increase the rebound dampening but will also affect the compression. Valving affects the resistance to motion so heavier valving increases the resistance but does not limit the speed. Valving is a pressure regulator.
Think of oil going through a hole. It will resist the flow linearly up to a certain rate. When that rate is achieved, increasing the pressure does not increase the flow rate. This is called "choked" flow. The rate that choked flow is reached is lower for heaver oils.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Revalve it now and use the 5wt , the thicker oil will thin out when it gets hot and youll have a different ride character after some time on the bike ,also thicker oil in a shock might heat up faster and thin quicker than a lighter oil . thinning == fade .FWIW I sort of think that the later Hondas have are specd out a bit light on the stock rebound valving .

WWR

Sponsoring Member
Jul 15, 2000
Yeah, what he said.

Thinner oils are less susceptible to thinning out as much as the thicker oils, which helps prevent shock fade.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…