Difference between dt,it,yz,mx yamaha's?

Aug 6, 2000
Originally posted by mattwr250f
I own both a 81MX175 and a 81IT465. The guy I bought em from only ran them for one summer and then him and his son lost interest and never road them again. Took a bunch of carb work to get that IT going but its a dog in the woods. Not to many guys can keep up with me in the woods. And as for that MX175 its just a fun little bike to run around on.

I've owned my 81 MX175 for 4 or 5 years now and I'm one of the fastest around here. Of course I did work on the motor a little, plus I dropped the gearing down so it will move a lot quicker, but I post top end speed, but no big deal I never used it that much anyways

mattwr250f

Jul 21, 2002
driver69

Does your 175 have one heck of a stump pullin first. I'm not sure if mine was regeared inside or not, sprokects are stock. But it seems that unless I have one heck of a hill to climb or I'm really really luggin it I dont hardly even use first-start out in 2nd most of the time.

Is yours similar to this

Aug 6, 2000
nope, I can barely use 1st because it whineds out really fast. I'll say though I never got stuck in mud with my bike but she does get loopy on hills or she'll get stuck on sand hills.

CanAm1

May 16, 2002
Rare bikes if you can find them when I lived in Springfeild Mo the Yamaha dealer who was also a Penton KTM dealer.They had twin shock laid down shock MX125s and 175s that came with a YZ engines this was the only I have ever seen them.They may have been euro-market bikes they where white tanked with blue 125 red 175 stripe.Back then I ran a 73 125DT witha 75 YZ GYT kit the kit made so much power it smoked the trans.

tjg

Dec 23, 2002
I started out riding in 1976 with a new holdover 74 MX360 ( 1st year for yellow and black paint ) I was 16 and Dad thought the 360 looked like a better bike than the 74 MX 175. BTW he never rode a bike. Several neighbors had dirt bikes ( Honda CR Bultaco Pursang, DT Yamaha, even a Rickman). The 360 was a handfull to ride to say the least. Forks and frame flex, all or nothing powerband. Don't remember getting beat in a drag race though. Bought a new 77 YZ400 in 1978 and discovered the joy of long travel suspension. Rode trail and a little mx and a lot of shorttrack. Shorttrack bikes would outcorner but couldn't outrun on the straitaways. Sold that and got a new YZ400 in 1979. WAY better than the 77 and light years from the old 360. My buddies bought TT500 4 strokes ,put in big carbs, cams, supertrapp silencers TONS of head and piston work and then they could keep up to a stock YZ. I'm sure modern 250 mx bikes would get a run for their money on those late 70's YZ 400's. My 2 boys race now on a KX125 and a YZ450. the older one had a 81 IT125 and he loved it. He rode that before he started racing and talks of finding another for a fun bike. Sorry about rambling on like this just remembering my flaming youth fondly.

dcropsey

Jul 20, 2008
New here, looking for an answer. I have a 1975 yamaha dt125 enduro. In researching, it appears there may have been several variations. Example dt125a, dt125b, dt125c, etc., all put out in 1975. I do not know which mine is as no manual came with it. Any easy way to tell just which it is, or even what the a,b,c stand for. Thanks from the rookie.

kschilk

Jul 9, 2008
The year the bike is manufactured, is not necessarily the same as the "model year". The "A, B, or C" after the "model", designates '74, '75, and '76 respectively (for Yamaha). As I understand it, for example....a DT125C would be a 1974 model, mfg'd. in 1976....basically unchanged from the '74 model but the "C", would denote the minor differences like paint, graphics and/or minor aesthetic or mechanical updates.

Vintagesplash

Oct 29, 2005
Quite an old thread, resurrected.

The MX line was the common man's motocrosser, and the YZ started out as limited. In 1975 Yamaha made a 80, 100, 125, 175, 250 and 400. This was the last year of the full line. In '76 the YZ250 and 400 were essentially the same bike as the '75 MX models, they even have the same engine and frame numbers. The main differences are the air chambers on the forks of the YZ and the swingarm top brace being rectangular on the '75 and round on the '76.

In 1977 I destroyed my knee while racing my CR125, and while recuperating, bought a '74 MX250 to trail ride. I found the bike to be quite peaky for a 250, but enjoyed it anyway. After healing, I bought a new CR250R, but kept the Yamaha.

I still have the Yamaha. In 1984 when I went into Navy bootcamp, I placed the Yamaha in my fathers barn and promptly forgot about it.

In 2000, I joined AHRMA and pulled the '74 from the barn. Cleaned the carb, put new pre-mix in, and a new plug, and it started on the 3rd kick.

A few months later the ignition went out so I put a PVL on it, then took it to B&J Racing for a 1st overbore and port job.

Now this bike runs like a scalded cat. I rode it today, along with my fully modded KDX200, and the MX is much faster on smooth ground.

The MX's were raced professionally even through the '75 season in AMA competition.

pgkeating

Aug 8, 2008
Vintage

I had a '76 YZ250-First year of the mono-shock. Not sure how the frame/swing arm fitment of the (YZ) mono vs. (MX) twin shock went, but I have to believe they were (vastly) different. The mono went way up under the tank. Rocket science for 1976. Front forks had those *weird* air chambers on top.
I remember the '76 YZ power band being very wide (good in the woods) and forgiving vs. my buddies '78, which was really sensitive to rev range/gear selection (no fun in the woods), but had waaay more suspension travel/compliance etc.

Pete

99olo

Jul 26, 2009
pgkeating said:
I had a '76 YZ250-First year of the mono-shock. Not sure how the frame/swing arm fitment of the (YZ) mono vs. (MX) twin shock went, but I have to believe they were (vastly) different. The mono went way up under the tank. Rocket science for 1976. Front forks had those *weird* air chambers on top.
I remember the '76 YZ power band being very wide (good in the woods) and forgiving vs. my buddies '78, which was really sensitive to rev range/gear selection (no fun in the woods), but had waaay more suspension travel/compliance etc.

Pete

The first year of a mono shock was 1975- on mx model yamahas.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Top Bottom