Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Well, this isn't completely off topic, since the info is for this site.

I made the big leap into a digital cam, got some pics, but the files are too big to load into the gallery here. Am I being a meathead again and missing something obvious? All the pics are 400+KB. When I go to upload I get a message telling me they are too large. :ugg:

Anyone have this trouble or found a solution for it?

I know it's practically suicidal to upload pics here, as they are open game for editing by some of our more creative members, but hey, I aint skeeert :) :)

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Rich turned us on to this (IRFAN) a while back. I haven't tried it yet, but I would love to hear your report on it.

Last edited:

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I believe that there are 2 ways it can be too big. The file size which you said you already adjusted & the actual picture size (dimensions). On the pic upload page it says the file size needs to be 75k or less.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Most photo editing software will let you save a pic at a lesser quality. Save As....

WinXP will let you right click on a photo (or multiples) and resize them super easily.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Papa - LOL, you're probably right. :eek:

JP - I'll look into that, thanks.

TTR - are you refering to Windows XP?

I probably just need to do some reading, I have the Camedia that came with the camera, just haven't played around with it too much yet.

Thanks for the replies, I need to start tweeking this thing a little bit. :)

B

biglou

Rooster-I use Paint as my picture re-sizer. You can crop it and then shrink it down to appropriate size. There is an overall size limit for the file (I think it's 75k for the gallery, and 50K to post directly in a thread) and also a pixel limit: 550 X 550. If you do a search, I went over playing with Paint in pretty great detail a while back. Use "Pictures" or "Resizing" as your keywords. If you can't find it let me know and I will give it a go and link to it.

canucklehead

Apr 13, 2000
The easiest thing to do would be to just take pictures at a lower resolution. Every digital I've ever used allows different resolutions. You're probably taking them at 1280x1024, and the files would be MUCH smaller at 640x480. Read the instructions (it's against the rule of man, I know) to explain how to change resolution. Good luck! Out of curiosity, what brand of camera did you get?

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
More good info! I guess I just need to try eveything.

I did see my setting were pretty high, so I edited one down to 800 x ??? and it cut the size of the file in half. I'm sure there is a setting on my cam for less resolution, just havnen't gotten there yet.

I think I'll get some time in on trying these different methods and see what happens.

TTR, I can get the save as option in WinXP, but it doesn't give me an option to resize, just .jpg or .bmp

canuck - I mustn't break the code! No directions or instructions allowed! j/k. I should probably read up on it, but you know how we are......new toy!....new toy!....must play with it immediately, and what is all this paper with words and stuff on it for anyway? :)

The cam is a Olympus D520zoom. Nothing special, just a good price and me in the mood to spend. :eek: Of course that means my bike will burst into flames or something this weekend and I won't have the fundage to fix it (knock on weed).

thanks all for the ideas and help. I will play with it somemore tomorrow. (My home PC is a little too slow)

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Thanks for all your help guys! I used the Lview zip program for this one. I noticed it makes things a little grainy though. Is there a way to clean that up? Nonetheless, I am happy I finally started getting somewhere with this camera.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Rooter, if you are using Windows Xp just open up Windows explorer, find your pics, select them, right click, there should be an option that says "resize pictures". It will pop up with 4 default pic sizes. It automatically names the new files with (small, WinCE, Medium, etc) appended to the end of the original file name. Oh and it doesn't change the original file.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
My bad, TTR, I don't have xp after all. (I know, I'm such a moron) I have the Lview, plus the Camedia that will let me size them down. Just need to try and get clearer pics. I think I just have the camera set on too low resolution. When I had it set higher, the pics were amazingly sharp.

Thanks again for your help. I'll keep on experimenting.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
i tried this one with the high res on the cam, and zipped it with Lview.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
That's what I was looking for.

I will now quit wasting space here in the forums and start my gallery.

Thanks all! :)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom