dirt bike for my 7yr. old 56lbs.

TRX55

Sep 9, 2002
Hey, i hope someone can help me with this? My son has been riding a pw50 for about a year and is getting a little tall for this bike. I was trying to get him somthing that he can ride for a couple of years or so without restricting his abilities to much, as he gets older. I noticed the klx110 and the xr70. The price on these bikes is a little more than i can afford but there are other bikes like LEM and HUSKY that offer a pretty nice bike for the money. I'am kind of partial to the klx because of the suspention and the strong motor but i don't know anyone who has owned one. So if any one could point me in a direction i would really appriciate it THANKS..........

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
If your son isn't a real aggressive rider.... like just backyards only.... a PW80 is a very affordable bike. Nice ones can be found used for $700 and they are easy for a little one to kick start.

But if your son is the kind of kid that wants to ride like a pro, you'll need to buy a bike with real suspension. Used KX60s are pretty affordable and their suspension can take much more abuse than the PW/TTR/KLX/XR.

Another thing to consider is whether or not you want him to learn to use a clutch now.

Flying Scot

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 13, 2002
My son had the PW 50 and out grew it quickly. Last Christmas we got him a KLX110 and by the time the weather improved here, he grew 3 1/2 " and is 4f 3 1/2" now with a 20" inseam. It fits him perfectly, toes tips just touching the ground and it had a screw like the PW50 to prevent to much power when he was getting used to it. Now he rips again.

I don't know if the PW90 has a throttle limiter but I think it has an E-start which will make your life a lot easier every time he drops it and you have to go back and start it after it floods.

Check the manufacturers websites and look at the specs on the bike for seat height. Better still take him to a couple of dealers and have him sit on the bike. If he is flat footed go with the next Model up until his toes when on his tips can't touch. He will still be able to ride it and it hopefully will last you more than one year. ( My son was 7 years and 3 months old when we got it ).

Good luck in the search. :thumb:

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
At 56lbs the klx will pull him around plenty good. you don't mention what type of riding you guys do. If its trails then the Husky and LEM bikes will suck. They are meant for the track. they are also 2 strokes so they don't have bottom end power but have mass top end power. About twice the power out of the husky or lem or KTM or Cobra. Personally I woldn't touch a husky due to parts problems. The lem is decent buy you'd have to mail order everything unless you have a dealer around. There are few dealers. Cobra's and Polini's have more dealers around.
But for trail rididng the klx and xr70 are good. The pw80 is decent too. All 3 have very limited suspensions suited only for trail riding and not much more.

TRX55

Sep 9, 2002
Thank for the info, The problem is i got him started a little late on a bike, he has only been riding on and off for about a year minus the four months of winter we had! He did a few harescrambles this year but the pw50 really was no match for the terain, so basically i wanted to get him something with alot more suspention and power and mabye get 2yrs. out of it. By then he should be ready for a full fledged motocrosser. The klx110 has the honda beat in alot of areas like suspention and power output. I have heard honda is reliable but i havn't heard anything bad about the klx110 motor. I found a guy that's selling an 02klx110 which he bought only a few months ago. He wants $1400, for that price i'll give it a shot...... Thanks for all the help....................

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
the only thing I have heard about the klx is its propensity to die if you get it wet. Kinda like the pw50 and the start run switch getting wet.

BTW if you put the QT50 rear ring and pinion gear in your PW50 it will have a lot more hill climbing grunt. Also it is a LEGAL AMA mod.

jcramin

~SPONSOR~
Aug 14, 2002
I moved my son from a PW80 to a new 2003 KLX110. He got it for his 8th birthday. He loves the bike. But we dont really ride motocross we are a trail riding family. Me and the wife and my 2 boys all trail ride and soon my daughter who turns 3 next month will be trail riding also.

J

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom