pmartin

Dec 24, 2007
Hello,

What is the best way to transport a dirtbike in the back of a pickup truck? I have a ram 1500 with the normal bed size and it looks like I might have to leave the tailgate down. Is there any special way to load them into the bed?

Thanks.

mmz77

Oct 15, 2006
I have a ranger with a 7 foot bed and it is VERY close, I have to leave the gate down if I run the bike parallel. For longer trips I'll tie it down like I normally would then swing the rear end over in the back corner so I have extra room for gear and the loading ramp. :cool:

stumanarama

Aug 29, 2007
put the front wheel in the middle of the bed pushed all the forward, get two tie downs and run them from the handlebars to the loops in the front corners of the bed, get them tight and thats all you should need, if you want to close the gate simply swing the back end all the way to one side and presto!

mmz77

Oct 15, 2006
Make a ramp, much easier and less of a hassle. I got a piece of 12" wide pressure treated lumber and messed around with some scrap metal and a welder. Made one for just over 15 bucks. :cool:

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Put it straight in, but a little off center (not in the center third of the bed). Strap it down, then push the rear end to the side until the gate will close. I too have a short bed Ram 1500, and I haul my KX250 along with my son's 85SX and all of our tools and gear in the closed bed. I have also transported my 250, a KX65, and a TTR125 with the gate closed.

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
I always just put the front wheel in the right front corner of the bed and pulled the rear wheel toward the left rear corner. I put the front tie downs to the left front corner and the right rear corner. This keeps from putting all the pressure on the front of the bed, which, if you put the front wheel in the center, could cause it to bend.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom