Hauling big bike & little bike in truck bed?

Biglmbass

Jul 29, 2002
When hauling two similar size (adult) dirt bikes in the bed of a pickup truck, I’ve always loaded them side-by-side, handlebars strapped together, front wheels forward (toward the cab), with each bike strapped to the tie-down points in the corners of the truck bed. This arrangement has never failed me and I’ve never had a bike fall.

Now I’m faced with hauling my son’s XR70 and my KDX in the bed of my truck and am curious how to arrange things for secure transport. Obviously one is a “big” bike and the other a “little” bike, so strapping the handlebars together is out of the question I’d think. I suppose I could try them side-by-side, but w/out their handlebars tied together, but I have my doubts how secure this would be. Another thought is loading them the same but with one pointing towards the cab and the other towards the tailgate.

The truck is a Toyota extra cab, so the tailgate will have to be down during transport. I’m trying to come up with something that will work w/ my truck, as I really don’t want to have to buy a trailer.

Does anyone have similar experience w/ hauling two differing size bikes such as I’ve mentioned? Any advice?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I would do the following:

Face them both forward, with tie straps going from the bars to the bed hooks - 2 tie straps per bike. Load the big bike first, tie it down, pull it snug. Give it a shake and make sure it's good. Then load the small bike. You might have to lift the tie strap on the big bike to tuck the front tire under the tie strap. Now tie down the little bike (you might want to thread the tie strap through the front wheel of the big bike to get a direct route to the bed hook). And you're set. As long as you have decent tie straps, they won't go anywhere.

Attachments

• pickup.jpg
    pickup.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 198
  • pickup1.jpg
    pickup1.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 82

Biglmbass

Jul 29, 2002
Nikki,

Thanks for the info. and idea. I expect I'll try it as you suggested (& illustrated). As added insurance I think I'll cobble together some sort of 2x4 to put against the rear of the cab to keep the front wheels straight.

Kinda like this...

____I_I________I_I____

Thanks again.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Been doing it like Nikki illustrated without problems for years and years. I think you will find that 2 x 4's will be unecessary unless you are hauling on very rough terrain, ie 4 x 4 territory. If it is that rough, park the truck and ride the bikes! Cheers John

trout

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2003
we haul 2 to 3 bikes...a cr250, xr100, and a yz85. I can put them all in straight side by side and hook each one to each front anchor from the bars...just like you would if only one bike.

Mrobbins

~SPONSOR~
Sep 28, 2002
What Nikki said. I load my KDX and my son's XR70 exactly that way in my little Explorer Sport Track. Might have to watch that the handle bars/bark busters of the little bike don't bang/rub the forks on the big one.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
I've always turned the front wheels into the corners and tied the inside tiedowns to the center of the front rail and the back tiedowns to a point halfway between the two stake pockets.

Top Bottom