mxmatthew

Apr 7, 2003
Just wondering what people's thoughts are on this.

I always find my dad and I in a discussion (or rather my dad complaining) about why new dirt bikes are so expensive, as you can buy a new sport bike for only a couple grand more.

Me spending $9k on a new KTM is a bit hard to justify; all I can ever defend myself with is saying I love it too much to care!

My dad seems to think there is so much more technology in the sport bikes, which leads him to believe that dirt bikes are extremely overpriced. I'd like to try to defend dirt bikes by talking about the suspension, weight savings, being able to take a crash, the needs of the frame, blah blah blah, but really, I know next to nothing about street bikes so for all I know their stuff is just as advanced.

Do you guys think that there is more technology put into street bikes and that dirt bikes are really overpriced compared to street bikes??

C'mon guys, I need some ammo to come back at my dad with :)

P.S. - my dad is from the days when they were just getting rid of coil over shocks and he bought his bike new for under $2k

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Your dad is right, dirtbikes are expensive in comparative terms, and the technology in street bikes far surpasses anything available on dirtbikes.

It's a simple matter of economies of scale. They sell a lot more street bikes, so the cost of technology, materials, R&D and a host of other expenses can be spread over a greater number of units sold.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Rich Rohrich said:
Your dad is right.

Awwwww damn. :ohmy: Ya ol' meanie! :yikes: That's not the answer he wanted to hear. :rotfl:

True though. :nod: :laugh:

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Rich Rohrich said:
It's a simple matter of economies of scale. They sell a lot more street bikes, so the cost of technology, materials, R&D and a host of other expenses can be spread over a greater number of units sold.

And that particular economy of scale is only growing with rising gas prices.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
I'm not so sure I agree with this discussion.

If you are comparing Japanese bikes, only, or Euro bikes only, to each other, I think the prices are fairly reasonable.

Look at the prices for a Ducati 1098 (or 1098R,) and compare them to your KTM price. Then look at a RMZ450 and a GSX-R1100.

Or, I could compare a Yamaha TTR125L to the Duc. 1098, and argue that the opposite is true.

What about the new Yamaha WR250X street bike? It compares favorably in price, to the RMZ450, IMHO.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Anyone have some change?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom