Trey15

Mar 3, 2008
Im Looking To Start Racing Motorcross, And I Wanna Know Whats A Good MX Bike To Get? Does Anybody Have Any Advice?

Last edited:

RocketRaccoon

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 7, 2006
Edit: Was shown the error of my ways. In the future...try to include more information with your post so its easier for us to answer your question. :cool:

Petey

~SPONSOR~
Dec 2, 2007
Fill this out so we get an idea of your situation.
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
4) Do you have any riding experience?
5) Do you think you will race ?
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
10) Do you live in California?
11) Your age?
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

RocketRaccoon

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 7, 2006
BigRedAF said:
Be nice rocket man, your just showing your Yankee side when you beat someone down on their first trip to this board...

Yeah...your right. I just got home from work and this was the first thing I read. Gotta learn to stay away from the dark side. ;)

Trey15

Mar 3, 2008
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
A:5ft 9, Weight 180

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
A:I Can get Physical And Be aggressive

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
A:Mx and Sx Tracks

4) Do you have any riding experience?
A:On a Track No I Dont. just Being On a dirtbike yea I do

5) Do you think you will race ?
A:Yea I want To.

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
A:I Will Have Help From My Step Dad And Friends

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
A:I Dont Know Whats A Good Brand To Get, And 4 Stroke

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
A:Yea Its A Dealer Like 5 Minutes Away From My House. They Sale Honda,Suzuki,Kawasaki,Yamaha

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
A:I Plan On Get A 2008

10) Do you live in California?
A:Henderson,Neveda
11) Your age?
A:19 Yrs Old

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
RocketRaccoon said:
Yeah...your right. I just got home from work and this was the first thing I read. Gotta learn to stay away from the dark side. ;)

I should keep the Yankee comment to my self too, sorry.

Trey15

Mar 3, 2008
Big Red And Roccet Man If You Guys Had To Choose Between A 08 YZ 450F,08 CRF 450R, 08 RMZ 450. What Would It Be?

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
You can't go wrong with the Honda. Everyone seems to like it and it has a very solid reputation for staying together.

The YZ is also a great choice. I have a RM that I picked up cheap, I'm still not sure that I like it.

Trey15

Mar 3, 2008
Whats Some Good Advice For When I 1st Ride On A Track. Like What To do And What Not To Do? How Was Your 1st Race Like?

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
I raced BMX for several years before I ever sat on a motorcycle. My first race was the summer of 78. I went straight from the dealership to the track and put my gear on and hit the track, Wow what a rush!

I got lapped but raced every weekend that I wasn't in a cast until 2005. Back in the early days every race had 40 bikes on the gate and there was only 80, 100, 125ABC, 250ABC and over 30. There wasn't the multiple classes that they have now.

Do what your comfortable with, don't do any jumps like doubles until you can do a table of equal distance with no problems.

Make friends with good riders and get some help, skip the show off crap and learn how to corner and set guys up for passing.

RocketRaccoon

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 7, 2006
Trey15 said:
Big Red And Roccet Man If You Guys Had To Choose Between A 08 YZ 450F,08 CRF 450R, 08 RMZ 450. What Would It Be?

I have always been a Honda guy. My first race was on a 1987 CR125 and I haven't switched since. Yamaha also has a great reputation for build quality and reliability. Those would be my top two picks.

RocketRaccoon

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 7, 2006
Take a deep breath and try to relax. Don't plan on finishing in first place. Look at your first race as a learning experience. Pick a line and stick with it. Don't wander back and forth across the track. Give right of way to the faster riders and don't get upset if you get lapped. If possible before your heat, spend some time watching the other classes run so you can see how they do it. Don't attempt any jumps you aren't comfortable with. Above all else...have fun. :cool:

Trey15 said:
Whats Some Good Advice For When I 1st Ride On A Track. Like What To do And What Not To Do? How Was Your 1st Race Like?

RocketRaccoon

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 7, 2006
BigRedAF said:
The 87 CR125 was a great bike.

All my friends rode Kawi's. I just fell in love with the look of the Blue seat with the Red/orange plastic. Broke my heart that they changed to all red the following year. 1987 was also the first year for the rear disc brake on the 125. Worked ok, but did tend to fade when ridden hard. Wish I still had that bike...for that matter I wish I was still that young. :(

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
If I were you and wanted a 4 stroke, I'd go down a class and get a 250f. With a little less power you will focus more on the technical aspects of riding (cornering, whoops, rhythm sections) because you will have the traction and control and you will ride for more than just blowing down the straight aways...

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Agreed, a 450 might not be the best first bike.... I would suggest a 250F as well... I'm personally a fan of the Honda and Yamaha, they have a pretty solid history of being reliable.

Petey

~SPONSOR~
Dec 2, 2007
Id go with a yz250f to start, unless youve ridden on 450f's before and feel comfortable, the 250f is probably the better choice. Someone once told me "Id rather go fast on a slow bike than slow on a fast bike."

Trey15

Mar 3, 2008
Thanks Guyz For The Advice And The Help On Pickin How Many CCz Would Be Best For Me. And What The Good Bikers Are.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom