District 29 info wanted/41 beginner class?

01RM125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2002
I live in Apex NC, and am therefore in AMA district 29. I can't seems to find contact info for this district (I know, I must be missing the obvious, but..). I am already an AMA member. If anyone can tell me whom I need to contact to register for this district, I would appreciate it.

Which class? I am 41 years old with much street bike riding (mainly CBRs = sport bikes), and even a little racing. I have never raced a dirt bike before. I had to give up my street bike 2 years ago due to lack of self control (I know, at my age you would think… but some people never seem to grow up, and I refuse). So after 2 years of my wife having a DR125 and a Ninja 250 (street), and both of my children have 50cc (JR50 and PW50); the motorcycle withdrawal had become unbearable and I bought a 2001 RM125 (my friends suggested 250, but I didn’t want to hurt myself that bad yet, see self control issue above). I LOVE IT (the RM125).

Now the question; Given my low level of MX experience, my age, and my bike (RM125), what would the most appropriate race class for me? Seniors? I think I may not be experience enough for this class. To answer this question, you probably need to know how well I ride.

I have run some practices at the nearest track (Devils Ridge – I LIKE it). I can jump OK (but don’t yet do doubles). The only section of the track I can’t ride properly are the whoops. I currently try to double them (that is skip every other valley). I know I should keep it WFO, and just bang across the tops; but I can’t make myself do that yet. Is there such a thing as a D Seniors class?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide. :thumb:

max621

Jul 12, 2002
Try these sites for 29 info. www.ncdirtrider.com Lots of info on NC tracks. Check out www.easterncarolinamxpark.com also. That track is in Kenly and is lots of fun. I would think your best bet is to race +40 class or try +30D. The only problem I think you will run into is that you will be racing against 250's most of the time. But your better off there, I think, than trying 125D class. I live in Raleigh, so if I can be of any more help, let me know. A winter AMA district 29 series will be starting on Nov. 17th. Check www.ecmx.com on the series dates. Not set in stone yet.

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Just my 0.02 for your consideration. You may find that the riders in your 40+ class realize this is for fun, and don't expect to be lining up with Ricky C. anytime soon. Sometimes, that can't be said about all the riders in the beginner class. And it only takes a couple crazed loonies to really mess up your day. :|

Not only that, but you will undoubtedly learn more from better riders, and these are the guys you are going to be racing with long term. So long as YOU'RE not the crazed lunatic, they will be a great resource for questions on technique, etc.

Have fun. :thumb:

01RM125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2002
Jayhawk,
I have been in some open 125 practices, and I know your advice is sound. I am out there just for fun (I know I'll never be fast enough to even catch some of RC's roost, but thats fine with me)! I also understand that in the seniors class I'll never win anything with a 125, but honestly at this point the 125 only gets WFO 1/4 of the time (I think it's a little frustrated with it's new owner :-) ). My on concern in the Sr class is I don't want to be in anyones way. So my short term goal is start back of pack (I think I can handle that), and then try not to get lapped(we'll se about that)!

Thanks, Chris

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Just enter the +40's and you'll be fine.
Sounds like you are prepared to hold your line. I find some very fast riders in the Seniors class, also some spodes...but most all are heads up riders.
Best of luck to you, and have fun!

Top Bottom