Do away with 250/450cc limitations

flying W

Mar 30, 2002
What are the reasons for the displacement limitations in the 250/450 class? It seems arbitrary. Why not just make it an open class with unlimited engine displacement. I would think that having an open class would give the manufactures freedom to optimize displacement which should make for a better bike. I’m not saying that a 500cc 2stroke is the way to go but maybe a 280cc or 320cc 2stroke or a 480cc 4stroke may make for a better bike. Plus, varying displacements should yield more variety in MX bikes. Currently, all new 250cc 2stroke MX bikes have about the same power characteristics. Allowing the manufacture to use any displacement they want should allow for bikes with more diverse powerbands as each manufacture would probably pick a different displacement. Riders would pick the motor they prefer and manufacturer’s engine designs would converge to the most popular motor designs.

And while we are at it, I would like to see the 125cc limitation raised to 200cc. It seems to me that those extra 75 cc’s could give an engineer a whole lot more freedom to design a bike for a certain powerband. Plus it would compete well with the 250 4strokes

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
How about just making a 250 and an open class again and forget about engine type. :cool:

Avena Quaker

Dec 9, 2004
Yeah it would be cool, but people would be jumping back to pingers again, they would have a huge advantage over thumpers, and I'm sure manufacturers don't want that to happen, they are very happy now selling expensive 4 strokes :blah: ... not to mention the EPA and enviro****...

ktmboy said:
This is already available. They're called 'KTMs"! :)
Yup, and about KTM, I've heard several times they will bring the 380 back ! :-)

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Works for me! :nod:

blowtus

Jun 16, 2005
I'd like to see it too. Don't understand arbitrary displacement regs, especially in the '125' class where any 125's are heavily disadvantaged because of stupid arbitrary regs. An open class replacement for the 250/450 class sounds good to me, bring on some innovation and change...

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Avena Quaker said:
Yup, and about KTM, I've heard several times they will bring the 380 back ! :-)

If they do I just might be ready for a new bike. That magic motor in an up-dated chassis would be sweet!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…