Do you REALLY want to ride the ISDE?

smoody

Dec 17, 2000
I will try to answer the above two ways. First to prepare for a Two Day Qualifier you will need as a min. the following.
1 - An extra set of gear
2 - Tubes and Tires, Front and rear
(Hoepfully for just two days you will not need to do a tire change. Put Heavy Duty tubes in to start with good tire pressure and you should not have to change)
3 - Gas, Oil, the normal tools.
If you do LOI you will have to impound your bike both Friday and Saturday night, so your tools and goodies need to be mobile to go to that area.
4 - Be in the best physical shape you can. Hydrate a lot, weeks before the race.
5 - Your pit crew will be very important.

THAT WAS THE SHORT VERSION TO PREPARE

Concerning time keeping. A Qualifier is a little different than an Enduro. You can be early for checks! You just can't go through them until your number comes up. A Qualifier consists of trail sections that are fairly easy to stay on time, then you are interupted through out the day by Special Tests. A Special Test is a timed section. It could be a Motocross Test, A Grass Track, A Woods Section, A Hill Climb or an Excelleration Test.

Simply put, you don't want to loose route points on the regular trails and you want to go the very best you can on the Special Test sections.

It is good to have a timer to know what is going on and where you are. But it is not mandatory.

SMOODY

Tree Crippler

Jun 8, 2000
Ride Ride Ride Find the nastiest spot you can ride in and do it for a long time. If you not tired your not training.
If you don't know how to fix or rig everything that can break on your bike you better find one that don't break. Launching your bike over obstacles to get to the otherside is normal. Changing tires is not one of the probs you should worry about.

Girlrider

Sep 1, 2000
If you can get ahold of the Motorcycle movie "On any Sunday" there is a segment where Malcom Smith goes to the ISDT. It was call a Trial back then. It give a pretty good description of how it all works.

Stealth

Feb 25, 2001
This is my first reply as a registered member of DRN. I have been reading alot of the different women's forums and think that they are just awesome.
It is great to see alot of women taking up the sport of MX,Trils,Enduros,etc....
I am definitely planning to run the Qualifier in Idaho this June as a LOI. Is anyone else planning to be there? If so, we can help each other (mentally and physically)
prep ourselves for this event.
My husband and I just purchased a 2001 KTM 400. This will be my bike til after the Qualifier and maybe even the ISDE (lets hope). Then it becomes his bike.
I race/ride 1989 YZ250WR (Enduros),
a 1992 CR250 (Desert and Gran Prix)and
a 1989 XR600 (Dual Sporting)

------------------

Top Bottom