ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
there is a long story behind my stator (post in here somewhere), but does anyone have a stator for an 87 kdx 200, or know how to rewind one? my stator is : top one is wound, bottom one is not

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Here are some rewind instructions for a street bike:

http://www.suzukicavalcade.com/Maintenance/stator.htm

In the old days, we would send our KDX stators to Shoup Enterprises in Colorado. The phone # I found on the web is 303-434-0906. Not sure if he is still in business - used to advertise in Cycle News.

You could also contact Ricky Stator in CA www.rickystator.com and ask them. Their ad in Cycle News says they rewind stators.

IMO you will be lucky to find a new one or used one you can trust - rewind that sucker and it should be as good or better than new.

Last edited:

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
thanks...i'm quickly getting quite aggrevate about my little problem. Kawasaki wants $327 for a new stator!!!!!!! HOLY CRAPOLA!!!!! that's half of what i paid for this ol' bike....man i'm ready to get my new wr450f!!!!!

MX175

~SPONSOR~
Aug 20, 2002
I also understand the the stator off of a Tecate will also work. There are East Coast firms that will rebuild that stator for about $80, and I think they can do it in a few days. Check out the ads in the classified section of Dirt Bike Magazine. Do not buy one from Kawasaki.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Stator problems are pretty common on the older KDX's. A rewind will be cheaper than a new one. If you find a good shop, they will probably use better wire and do a nicer job than Kawaski did.

You might bring it in to a small electric motor shop or handyman (vacuum repair/electric tool repair) in your area. They will likely have the wire and everything else they need. Even if they have never done a motorcycle stator, they should be able to figure it out quick.

TransAm77

Feb 10, 2002
I got a brand new one for my '89 200 for $80.00 plus shipping. I got it from Stator Corp (508-478-0976). I've had it for about a year and it hasn't failed yet...so I consider it a good product. Oh..this was a new one, not a rewound one.

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
i checked out the link on rewind myself...i may try it, i don't figure it can hurt anything, am i wrong?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom