J-man

May 16, 2007
so i took my 2006 CRF250R to the shop to get the top end rebuilt. they said it would cost 500-600 bucks. Does this sound reasonable?

J-man

May 16, 2007
i do want to learn to do it myself, i have been trying to find old posts and looking out for other articles but no matter what i do nothing is working for me. my manual just does not work for me and there is also nothing in it about how to ADJUST VALVES.

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
It'll come J-Man. Fear not. Having a shop do it while you gather materials and learn is okay. It is good to have allies to keep you riding. Some like to wrench. Some like to ride. Me, I'd rather ride. No harm in that.

I find videos or watching in person much easier way to learn. After I "see it" I can more easily digest written instructions. I'm not alone in that I'm sure. Hope these help you get on your way to learning the things you want to know.

Good luck.

Valve Clearance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEW-P7yGtAk

A library of posted FREE/QUALITY videos can be found at rockymountainatv/mc.

http://offroadvideos.magnify.net/

From the Hotcams website:

http://www.hotcamsinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=cMedia.viewInstallationVideo&videoid=2

Payfer (06 Honda crf250r Specific):

http://www.motopowervideo.com/checkout/honda_valve_adjust_sc.html

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=160890

Here's a little info from another valve adjust thread. Unfortunately the good info is mixed in with a bunch of crap so I'll just pull out two of the posts which have some solid information you could benefit from:

ol'89r said:
In answer to your question, if you wait until your valves close up enough to where the bike won't start, you have already done damage to your engine. The valves need a certain amount of clearance inorder for the oil to get in between the cam and buckets. If the required spec's are .006" clearance and you only have 003" clearance, the bike will start but when it warms up to operating temp the metal will expand from the heat and the .003" will close up to -0. When this happens the valves do not close all of the way and it will burn the valve and seat. Running the bike like this will result in the head of the valve breaking off of the stem and doing great damage to the engine. It also forces the oil out from between the cam and buckets resulting in destroying the cam and buckets from running without oil in between them. Basically metal on metal.

Learn to check them yourself. Like Nikki said, it's easy to check them and your manual explains it very well. It's a little more difficult to adjust them but if you keep checking them you will know when it is time to have them adjusted. You can also determine your own maintainance schedule and how often or how many hours to check them after you do it a few times. Buy an hour meter and start recording the hours on the engine. That is the only accurate way to keep track of the hours. If you are only trail riding you should be able to go longer than the recommended times in the manual since those are worst case, (pro racing) recommendations.

Hope that helped.

nikki said:
You can check the valve clearances yourself. It is a pretty easy job, and takes about an hour from start to finish (as long as you have the right tools). If your valves are still in spec with the manual, then there is no need to adjust/reshim them. We have checked the clearances on all of our four-strokes every 10-20 hours, or if the bikes ever get hard to start. We've currently own an '06 CRF 250 and 450, and have previously owned an '02, '04, and '05 CRF 450, and an '03 YZ 250F. Luckily we have never had to reshim, but if you do have to, it's pretty easy to do yourself. If you have to reshim often, then you should replace your valves/springs, which gets a little more difficult.

As for piston/rings, we usually do rings every 20-30 hours, and a piston every other ring change. We've also replaced the timing chain as general maintenance after 2-3 seasons.

Last edited:

jesse_54

Apr 1, 2008
MX GZR said:
Nope sure don't. learn to do it your self $100 to $200. It's not hard , just need a manual and some basic skills
:ride:

I didn't think you could rebuild the top end for that much on a 4 stroke.

J-man

May 16, 2007
thank you fatcat216. those helped out alot for the valve adjusting, and my grandpa said he would show me how to do the piston and rings.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
J-man said:
. . . my manual just does not work for me and there is also nothing in it about how to ADJUST VALVES.
you need to find a service manual, not just the owner's manual. I'm sure Clymer makes one by now.

bwood

Mar 21, 2004
Both my owner's manual and my Honda service show the valve adjusment proceedure pretty much the same, just the service manual has better pics. Same for the piston. The last top end I did cost me about $450 with the piston, rings, gaskets, intakes, all valve springs, seals and whatever else. Your shop is probably quoting just a piston change and nothing more. The intake are titanium and will stretch (thats why the need routine asjustments) the exhausts are steel and can be reused as long as they measure up.

J-man

May 16, 2007
i have the service manual and i went threw it again today to see if i missed a page and then i saw that the page for adjusting valves was gone along with a few more pages to help do engine work. but the guy at the honda dealer said he will show me how to do it if i help him do his in a couple weeks. now i can actually lear it by watching instead of just reading about it. anyway thanks for everything guys

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
J-man said:
. . . the guy at the honda dealer said he will show me how to do it if i help him do his in a couple weeks.
I commend you for taking the time to get an education in this matter and doing everything you can to learn how to do it yourself :)

Your efforts make me a little more tolerant of 15 year olds everywhere

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Page 58 of the owners manual that came with the bike begins the section on valve shim replacement. I just took the clearances and the old shims (which I put in seperate marked bags) to my local service shop and he fixed me up with the correct sizes.

The piston is pretty simple to change. Be especially careful when staggering the new rings and getting eveything timed. The timing is fairly simple with only one cam. You should consider replacing at least the valve springs when you do the piston.

J-man

May 16, 2007
well thanks pred, But yea i am really trying to get this stuff down. i hate relying on other people when it comes to my bikes.

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
J-man said:
i have the service manual and i went threw it again today to see if i missed a page and then i saw that the page for adjusting valves was gone along with a few more pages to help do engine work. but the guy at the honda dealer said he will show me how to do it if i help him do his in a couple weeks. now i can actually lear it by watching instead of just reading about it. anyway thanks for everything guys

JMan- That is really really COOL. I'm so happy for you. :cool:

Be sure to not only show up on time, use great manners, offer to sweep or something for him and all that other appreciative stuff, but send him a thank you note afterward. He must be a way cool guy.

J-man

May 16, 2007
So i got it back finally today i was so happy to finally have some good after a 8 hour day of drivers ed and having the Flu for the last 2 weeks. came out to 600 even. everything in the top end exept the crankshaft was replaced. The guy started showing the stuff to me and i started getting it but i still dont understand how to do the timing chain and get the valves centered perfectly. At least now i have a much better understanding on how to do it. He said we can make another day to teach me more, he is a pretty cool guy and i am really trying to get this stuff down.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Glad to hear it's back together! Take advantage of the guy's kindness and let him teach anything he will. Knowledge is priceless! Just make sure he knows how much you appreciate it.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
_JOE_ said:
. . . Just make sure he knows how much you appreciate it.
He's not old enough to buy proper appreciation, Joe!

I'm sure the guy would settle for a six pack of root beer and a couple pizzas. ;)

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
XRpredator said:
He's not old enough to buy proper appreciation, Joe!

I'm sure the guy would settle for a six pack of root beer and a couple pizzas. ;)

I always had my old man pick up some liquid appretiation. :cool: But food works too!

J-man

May 16, 2007
well my dad owns the Ben and Jerrys ice cream store that is down here so we brought him a quart of that. I also swept the shop up for him and put all the tools back.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
J-man said:
well my dad owns the Ben and Jerrys ice cream store that is down here so we brought him a quart of that. I also swept the shop up for him and put all the tools back.

Way to go j-man. :cool:

There is some hope for teenagers. ;)

Top Bottom