Don't know what to get, new rider, 19/m

icesaint

Jun 1, 2006
Hey all! Im 19 years old and currently live in SLC, Utah. I have always wanted a dirt bike or 4-wheeler, and am looking to pick up a bike to have some fun. I have a trailer, and towing vehicle, just need a bike. I am looking for something in the $1000-$3000 range, used or new. I am relatively large person (6'2, 195 lbs) and don't want something that will feel like a total toy, although size isn't important.

I really have little idea on what to buy, what brands, used or new... I want to buy a bike that is *reliable*, somewhat powerful, and can be used for serious off-road distance riding. If any of you could give me a few recommendations/bikes/engine sizes or types, etc. Anything is helpful!

Thanks a million -

Brendan

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
2) I can be aggressive in spurts, usually moderate
3) I plan to ride woods/hills/mountainsides, and desert. Also, a street legal bike with good gas mileage is a plus.
4) Only mountain biking experience, besides a few rides on friends bikes.
5) Will not be racing with this (first) bike.
6) Will not be doing my own bike work (want a reliable bike)
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
You tell me! I need power, as I will be attacking some relatively steep hillsides, etc, but it doesn't have to be extreme.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
I am located in a major city with all major brands
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
I can spend anywhere from below $1000 to somewhat upwards of $2500.
10) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
I am looking for a good middle-of-the-road starter bike with high reliability and decent power. I am not sure whether I want a new or used bike, but would prefer used. I am mostly looking for advice on engine size/type for my size build and needs.

Thanks!

Jameson Long

May 31, 2006
i would recommend a bike such as a crf 125 or maybe a kdx 200. im 6'1 and have a kdx 200 and it fits me great. i would probably buy a used bike. 95% of the time they come with performance parts. i got my kdx for $800 and it runs great and has pro circuit all over it.

icesaint

Jun 1, 2006
Thanks I will definitely see if any of those are available in my area. One other thing i wanted to possibly look into - What bike could be suitable for relatively high-speed street riding (highway ~ 70 MPH) over distances of 10-45 miles for someone at about 200 lbs? Riding my school to home commute would save me lots of gas money, if a 250/300 or more could handle it and still be fun off road, I want to look into it. Any ideas?

icesaint

Jun 1, 2006
Yeah, looking around, I have noticed alot of bikes that come with performance parts, but I didn't know whether to completely consider that an upside or a downside!

Jameson Long

May 31, 2006
oh yeah, if u plan on riding really long distances on trails just remember that 2-strokes arent the best on gas. but the kdx is still a great bike. mine's 15 years old and i can still count on it. i put it through some rough stuff too.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
70+ on a KDX is possible, for about 15 seconds. I have one and dual sport it. It's absolutly no fun on the road for more than a couple of miles.

If you want a dual sport bike on that budget start looking into older Honda XR250's. They lack power, but have more than enough for a beginner rider. They are easy to ride and maintain, and are pretty much as reliable as they come. Not a great off-road bike in my opinion, but my uncle had one and loved it. I'm a little too agressive for the bike's abilities (even my kdx is disapointing me now).

icesaint

Jun 1, 2006
Well, I appreciate all your help, and bought and rode my first motorcycle ever yesterday. Here are the pics from the ad- ill have some of my own soon.
mybike.jpg
[p]
kdx.jpg

[p]

Its a 2001 KDX 200. It also came with brand new gloves and full helmet/goggles, which are all new and fit me perfectly. It also has several performance parts, silencer, pipe, etc. I got it for a great deal - $1500 of KSL.com. I really just can't stop riding it, although I am not yet a very steady rider. I've almost beefed it a couple times and have stalled out a few times doing neighborhood/dirt riding near my house. Love the bike, now I just need to learn what I am doing!

The first time I rode it...I was going to wait for my friend to come teach me...but I thought, hey, how different can it be from a manual car? After initially shooting me across the street and into my neighbors yard, I have pretty much gotten the hang of it :)

My one question still it - The bike has several plastic tubes hanging below it. I believe these are 'breather' tubes, but am not sure, or what they are doing hanging like they are. You can see one of them in the upper picture where it is still attached to the bike - it is the brownish tube, any ideas?

Thanks guys

icesaint

Jun 1, 2006
Ok great - I have another question now - My brother now wants to get a bike. He is 6'6 and weighs 250 lbs, so its a tough job finding something that will work for him. He doesn't need a ton of power, but size of the bike is very important, and it has to be at least as powerful as a 200 cc 2-stroke equiv. What would you recommend?

icesaint

Jun 1, 2006
Thanks Kev -

Ok - I have a few important quick questions.

I have one major problem - today when riding, my grip totally sheered off. It literally came off in my hand. I had to reach two fingers into the round metal thing on the inside of the grip area of the handlebar, and rotate it to accelerate back home. Looking on rockymountainATV it looks like there is no shortage of grips, but will these replace everything I need? Are there any in particular worth recommending?

Also, I need to start some general maintenance on my bike. All I have done as of yet is mix the synthetic 2 stroke oil with gasoline at 1:40.

By the way, what type of gasoline would you all recommend?

Back on subject, I need to start lubing my chain after every ride, as well as cleaning my air filter. I can obviously lube a chain, but any recommendations for lube for my bike? And how do you change an air filter? This is all I know I HAVE to to do, but if you could advise me on anything else, or point me to a general maintenance site, that would be very useful.

Thanks for all the help so far - sorry I know literally nothing about engines, motorcycles, or anything mechanic in any way.

Bren

P.S. - Anyone in the Salt Lake/Ogden/Idaho Falls area, hit me up!

icesaint

Jun 1, 2006
well, im back from new york, and have been having a blast on my bike!

Latest pic from today :

bikenews.jpg

I have been riding around on a little course someone made about a decade ago by my house, probably wont be there by the end of the year so I am enjoying it!

homemademx.jpg

You can see the area, and "track" in the top right section of the trails. House construction is definitely encroaching.

Ill get some ground level shots soon, but I took my first big jump today, and it was the most exhillarating experience I have had, ever. I had to lay the bike down and sit for a minute afterward just to relax! As for the jumps though - My rear end seems to fly up really high right off the jump, and I land hard first on my front wheel - any advice?

Also, I did my first air filter cleaning today! I really had no idea what I was doing so hope it went well. Checked my tranny oil...and Im not sure...but i think its totally empty, so I want to just change it out - any advice on what brand product to get (RockyMountainATV options are perfect) - and other things like Brake Fluid, 2 - Stroke oil to use, what level octane gas to use, etc. I really have no idea which is best - make me a list if you can, I appreciate it!
[/img]

cr125drew

Apr 19, 2005
icesaint said:
As for the jumps though - My rear end seems to fly up really high right off the jump, and I land hard first on my front wheel - any advice?

Also, I did my first air filter cleaning today! I really had no idea what I was doing so hope it went well. Checked my tranny oil...and Im not sure...but i think its totally empty, so I want to just change it out - any advice on what brand product to get (RockyMountainATV options are perfect) - and other things like Brake Fluid, 2 - Stroke oil to use, what level octane gas to use, etc. I really have no idea which is best - make me a list if you can, I appreciate it!
[/img]

since you're landing hard on the front, shift your weight backwards when you're on the lip of the jump. works for me. another thing to do is to keep on the throttle, and if you are high in the front, then tap the rear brake. for the air cleaner, i use nature's orange (good and not harmful like gas which is a good solvent but can break down the glue bonds in the filter) to clean the filter then spray or apply lube. lube doesn't have to be heavy. take care of your filter, it's one of those things some people neglect but it's vital for the carb to get clean and unrestricted air. before i put the filter back on, i put a film of grease where the air filter sits; to prevent dirt from being sucked in. if you have no tranny oil, that's a bad sign, you could have a leak. maybe a bad/torn gasket or even worse, a cracked case. drain it completely, fill it up to the proper level or amount (get a manual, it's a must), then check it after riding for 15 mins. or so. if it's gone down, you have a leak. after riding the whole day, check it again. if it did leak by the end of the day, i wouldn't ride it until it's fixed. for gas i use premium pump at 91 octane. no pinging and i don't race, so it works fine. my manual does recommend 93, but it's not at gas stations, and i don't want to pay the price for 100 octane and such. go by what your manual says, which i imagine is similar to mine. your engine maybe have a lower compression ratio, therefore, not as high of octane. but buy a manual to be sure. for the basics, keep up on the tire pressure, chain slack, lubed chain, lubed filter, and gas and you are good. of course there is more maintenance but don't attempt the big stuff unless there's someone you know who can rebuild an engine and not f*ck it up. oh and that thing under the grip and outside of the handlebar, it's called a throttle, and you can get metal ones that won't crack like the plastic. i have a wirtz brand one which is cast metal and has a bearing and it works nicely.

icesaint

Jun 1, 2006
Thanks for the response! Since my last post, I did in fact change out my tranny oil. The level has held strong since My bike is doing fine, but my rear tire is so bad (like 10% prob.) that its hard to have fun right now. I am planning on putting on my new tire on my own this week, I got a 100/100-18 dunlop sitting in the garage, along with a tire pump and 3 tire irons. If anyone knows of any quick and easy guides to change a tire on a KDX, post em up!

Thanks again

cr125drew

Apr 19, 2005
icesaint said:
Thanks for the response! Since my last post, I did in fact change out my tranny oil. The level has held strong since My bike is doing fine, but my rear tire is so bad (like 10% prob.) that its hard to have fun right now. I am planning on putting on my new tire on my own this week, I got a 100/100-18 dunlop sitting in the garage, along with a tire pump and 3 tire irons. If anyone knows of any quick and easy guides to change a tire on a KDX, post em up!

Thanks again
tire changing is a bitch for anyone. ummm it helps to have the tire at working level, a trash can (metal preferrably b/c it's stiff) would be favorable. if u mtb, u know about the whole deal about working with the valve then moving to the opposite end on both sides equally. hope that made sense. oh and an extra person is good too.
heheh okiewan i noticed that too, as well as elbow guards. but maybe icesaint is on to something, maybe he likes his gear to not be torn up?

Edit: if you're low on money, you can also flip the tire so that the is reversed. but then, the breaking side isn't as good.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom