firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
So for the first time I am dating someone who isn't (wasn't) a rider. We met last spring, and really, things are going very well. He is sweet and wonderful and I'll stop right there before you gag. He mountain bikes and skis but didn't ride motorcycles. So I took him and let him ride my KTM. Then he was interested enough so I adopted my brother's wreck of a DT400. So he rode that a few times out at our ORV park. We went trail riding once just before I had knee surgery, and he did excellent on a trail I'd call advanced beginner or easy intermediate. Actually, he did better on said trail (his first ever trail ride) than I did after a year of riding. While it's fairly wide in most places, there are some sections with nice little rock piles to get through. There was one in particular that got me every time for a LONG time.

Then he starts talking smack about kicking my ass down in Reno. Telling myself "Well, he is only a guy," I shrugged it off. Scary thing is he got kinda close. I'll chalk it up to a.) typical male lack of fear and b.) more upper body strength. He definitely figured out how to hold the throttle on in the wide stuff. Thankfully, for now, I can still get him in the more technical parts; but I don't think that will take long.

Fearing for his fragile male ego, I resolved to hold my laughter and caustic comments back while he struggled on the trails, but truthfully there weren't many opportunities for them!

Now what?
:flame:

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
If he gets outta hand, i know a girl that holds her Pro license, shes schooled me a time or two :p All kidding aside, pretty cool you taught a guy too ride, have you shown him maintenance??
Rick

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
coleman said:
Don't be so petty and realize that you have someone else to ride with now.

Whoa now calm down, I was kidding! Why do you think I took him riding anyway? Geez. :|

He has helped me do some maintenance stuff but I'm in no position to be teaching that to anybody. lol

I don't think you could PAY me to ride that damn DT. At first Keith said he preferred the DT though; the KTM was kind of a handful, but now that he's ridden a CR 250, GasGas 250, Karl's Service Honda and a CR450 I don't think he has a problem with my little 200.

In all reality, I am really proud and happy for him that he picked it up so quickly. It's great fun to ride with him withough that feeling that I'm holding someone back who is up there tapping their foot waiting for me to pick it up. But still, maybe he could have caught on a little more slowly. :ohmy:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Glad to hear Keith is taking to it so well. The better he gets the more fun you will both have!

IMO, the relevant factors to how fast someone goes are:

1) Natural ability (It may not be fair, but it's true)
2) Experience/practice.
3) Physical fitness/injuries
4) The bike (well, within reason)

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I think his mountain bike riding helps a lot too. I've ridden with other relative newcomers to dirt biking who had mtn. bike experience, and they were phenomenal compared to how long they'd been riding.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Although it's cool that he's riding with you, he was showing off quite a bit in Reno...

I think it's time to put his rear in check, and you call him I told you to (hehe)!

Then call him showoff, for me...

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Well here's my chance coming up too--he is going to *try* snowboarding, and as a lifelong skier, that could be really amusing. However he does wakeboard a little in the summer so he'll probably be good at that too. <sigh>

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I agree with Marlin, get him an open class motocross bike with a sticky throttle.:)

it will humble him or force him to truly show if he was lying about riding before heheh

either way it will make him think about maintenance and you won't have to teach him that

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
jmics19067 said:
I agree with Marlin, get him an open class motocross bike with a sticky throttle.:)

it will humble him or force him to truly show if he was lying about riding before heheh

either way it will make him think about maintenance and you won't have to teach him that
Na make sure that it's in great shape! bigger and faster will be enough to slow him down :laugh: you would'nt want to hurt anybody stuck throttles can be deadly!

TwistNShout

Nov 19, 2003
70 marlin said:
Carla: Get him a bigger faster bike. That alway's slows down a newer rider :p

A bike that was too big for me used to definitely slow me down through the technical stuff for sure :think: , but don't change your personality b/c of his jabs. Just keep on doing what you are, speak positive things about him on purpose, like how quickly he is catching on, etc.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Who the hell is Carla? hehehehehe

Sharla, I think Keith is a cool guy, glad you found him. Now, let's take him out and shred him on some tech. stuf!!

4EverOrange

~SPONSOR~
Mar 9, 2003
Hahah, I'm in the exact same position. New boyfriend assumes that because he's a guy he's going to just naturally be a better rider than. He made this, very stupid, comment after a couple of drinks. Ever since then I've been trying to explain to him that chances are pretty good he may be faster, but in the end I will be in front because I don't fall. It happens with every mediocre guy rider I know. They think riding is 90% balls and 10% skill. When in fact it's more of a 50/50 ratio.

Lucky for me, I got him yesterday. We were out at my parents, who have a track in their backyard. I did 4 or 5 laps, with not incident, then handed the bike to him. I warned him that the 200 isn't the typical 'chic' bike and to be careful with the throttle. Of course he didn't listen.

Dad and I watched him, giggling to each other, tryng to get a feel for the bike and it's responsiveness. Everytime going from a little throttle to full throttle, a couple of times getting the front tire up off the ground. Finally he ventured onto the track. I called it 5 seconds before he flipped the bike. He tried to jump, landed flat, fell back on the bike, and grabbed a whole handful of throttle. The bike flew out of his hands, and did a complete backflip. Lukcy for me it didn't hit anything before landing on it's tires, cause nothing broke.

Anyways, after having a good chuckle, I finally walked onto the track. His pride was damaged, as it should be, and he finally gave me the credit I deserve.

BTW - The chic bike comment was a response to something he said aobut my bike being a chic bike. (Of course he knows nohting about KTM's.)

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I hava 14 year old (he's my freinds kid) that i taught how too ride, i just remind him who taught him how too go fast :laugh:

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Haha, an open class bike with a sticky throttle: does the 1978 DT 400 count? lol

I wish he had gotten to go with Mick/Kiwi/crew but he DID get to go with Karl, which is almost as bad.

The good thing is that now he has enough feel for riding since he got to play in the open stuff, so I can take him on the *real* trails. Then we'll see.

Of course he might catch on even quicker and I'll end up eating my words . . .

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
firecracker22 said:
Haha, an open class bike with a sticky throttle: does the 1978 DT 400 count? lol

Yea, it would count. :ohmy:
Back when my '79 YZ4hunny was in prime condition i had the wonderful experience of having the throttle cable snap on me.......at nearly full throttle........on the big downhill section at the Aztec NM track.........and the bike had single leading shoe DRUM brakes...... :ohmy: :worship: :whiner:

That is the kind of experience that will wake you up faster than drinking 2 gallons of the finest java you can find anywhere. Trust me. :p

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
OnAnySunday said:
Yea, it would count. :ohmy:
Back when my '79 YZ4hunny was in prime condition i had the wonderful experience of having the throttle cable snap on me.......at nearly full throttle........on the big downhill section at the Aztec NM track.........and the bike had single leading shoe DRUM brakes...... :ohmy: :worship: :whiner:

That is the kind of experience that will wake you up faster than drinking 2 gallons of the finest java you can find anywhere. Trust me. :p

I can only imagine. That thing scares me as it is. He's welcome to ride it all he wants, I won't fight him.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Keith sure did like that 200 of yours :debil: It was great to meet him Sharla, are you going to start letting him post on DRN now too??

Top Bottom