Lissa

"Am I lost again?"
Apr 28, 2002
I used to make a point of not dating guys that rode. I figured if they rode they would want to ride, crash, and break my bikes and I ain't gonna let that happen. That was until the whining started. I'd say "The bikes were here before you, they'll probably be here after you, deal with it!"(yea, I can be cruel) He'd say "Yes, I understand. I think it's cool you ride." Half a year later "You never spend anytime with me! You ride on everyday you have off!"
That's when I wised up, kicked him to the curb and found me a riding buddy. Rob (who likes to occasionally post under my name) has been my riding buddy, best friend, and boyfriend all in one convient package. We have soo much in common it's almost scary! But boy did I have to date a lot of toads to find Rob.

It is cool to mentor a new rider. It is fustrating when apprentice surpasses the mentor. This is the best time to teach young grasshopper hard lesson in techinical section. He will only then appreciate the skills that are hard learned by trial and error.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
LOL! Sounds like Miss Sharla has finally met her match. :thumb: Take him to the dunes and see if HE can pull off that cliff of a jump. Take a camera with you... I want to see how far away from the bike his skinny little booty lands. :laugh:

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
dirty~d~ said:
LOL! Sounds like Miss Sharla has finally met her match. :thumb: Take him to the dunes and see if HE can pull off that cliff of a jump. Take a camera with you... I want to see how far away from the bike his skinny little booty lands. :laugh:

Yes indeed, Sista D is right on the mark! He seems a pretty good candidate for a Match so far. As for the dunes, Keith on my bike in the dunes is a thought I'd rather not entertain.

Lissa said:
But boy did I have to date a lot of toads to find Rob.

Amen to that. There are many toads out there, both with and without dirtbikes.

Natalie, I am not sure I want him posting here . . . he might hear *stories*! Actually he's not much of a website person. But he's welcome to sign up if the fancy takes him.

Moto'n Mama

~SPONSOR~
Nov 14, 2003
Sounds like me and Jason! It happened with snowmobiles instead of dirtbikes but same story. I'v ridden sleds all my life (trail riding), he hops on one and I cant keep up with him off trail. I figured with my comfort on a snobombile, I'd at least have an edge as we both learned how to backcountry snomobile. Still makes me mad!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
So Sharla... what happens if he gets better than you at everything you "teach" him? Will you drop him like a hot potato? Maybe go after...uh.. less athletic confident types? They probably won't challenge you... nothing to worry about.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Okiewan said:
So Sharla... what happens if he gets better than you at everything you "teach" him? Will you drop him like a hot potato? Maybe go after...uh.. less athletic confident types? They probably won't challenge you... nothing to worry about.

Oh, he will, I'm sure. Not sure if I'll drop him or not--he better give me good reasons not too.

Really, he's got many other skills to recommend him. I'll keep him for now.

Tried the less confident men thing--it gets really boring after a very short while. I decided that when I was 19 or so.

nkrn8

May 16, 2004
Firecracker,
Girl I totally feel you!!!!! My boyfriend is an awsome rider and was trying really hard to race pro. So he never had time to try any other sports till he met me! I am a competitive snowboarder and wakeboarder and I taught him to snowboard last season and towards the end he was beating me down the hill. :( Now I have been taking him wakeboarding and by no surprise he is progressing so fast! I love that he enjoys these sports and we can spend more time together but at the same time I totally understand where you are coming from. I am always catching myself saying it's not fair! Skiing is a lot more technical than snowboarding, so enjoy those first couple times because he will probably pick that up pretty fast too! I think I am extremely lucky to have the person I love as my riding buddy and absolutely love our days at the track, lake and hill. I feel truely blessed. So enjoy, have fun and happy riding!
Amay

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Keith went snowboarding for the first time with me (he's a really good skier) and was doing really well by the end of the day. Of course. He's better than me at wakeboarding, but all I can do is get up and go over the wake a little bit. He can waterski too.

Ya know, if he didn't look so damn good doing it all . . .

Seriously, though, it is wonderful to share everything with him.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
It sounds to me like new found exuberance - I just introduced a colleague to riding, and he loves to talk smack the better he gets - I think newbies have no idea as to their limits, I ride within myself, and am an easy target for hotshot rookies - that is until they get to eat dirt a few times. Makes me think of my ten year old who gets a great kick out of spanking me on his Nintendo Gamecube. I think your boyfriend was probably a little intimidated by your dirt riding abilities, he must be getting a kick out of the fact that he is getting better and can now hang with the chicks -reminds me of the old Chinese master and student thing !! :)

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
I post all over. The ladies have interesting posts and good conversations, that I could add too.

velosapiens

Mar 18, 2002
firecracker22 said:
Keith went snowboarding for the first time with me (he's a really good skier) and was doing really well by the end of the day.

if you have experience at all in any kind of similar sidewise type sport (skateboarding, wakeboarding, surfing) you can be riding a snowboard pretty well in a couple hours. those things seem to help more than skiing. really tho, if a student has ANY kind of organized coached activity in their background, it's pretty easy to teach them snowboarding. the guys that surf and skate just pick alot of it up without instruction.
mw (2 yrs of snowboard and ski instruction experience)

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I just wish I picked things up as quickly! I really have to struggle with everything, snowboarding, dirt biking, etc. It's a little frustrating.

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
My biggest problem when I was learning to ride was the fact I was 27 and knew that if I got hurt it would be hard to take care of the family.So as a result I'm very conservative when I ride. I just wish I had taken it up when I was alot younger when I had more balls than brains.

Steve

velosapiens

Mar 18, 2002
splatt said:
My biggest problem when I was learning to ride was the fact I was 27 and knew that if I got hurt it would be hard to take care of the family.So as a result I'm very conservative when I ride. I just wish I had taken it up when I was alot younger when I had more balls than brains.
Steve

so you could get hurt more? most of the best off-road racers rarely if ever crash. there is no reason to ride over your skill level. you can ride conservatively, never crash, and still haul booty.

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
So do you girls/guys prefer guys/girls who don't ride, or haven't ever ridden.. Or guys/girls who want to learn and ride/race, or guys/girls who already ride/race??? Just wondering.. And yes I realize Im in the womens forum.

Ben

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
We prefer guys who treat us well and respect us. If they ride, great. if they don't oh well--as long as they don't have a problem with us riding!

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
I wish my wife had an interest in riding. I've ridden with both FC22 and dirty-d and think it's great that they have an interest in a male dominated sport.

Steve

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Steve, maybe once your little one is riding and/or your wife meets FC ;) (sorry gal, couldn't resist lol)

In amongst our group of friends, we're getting more & more females riding. Some of the wives/partners are sick of hearing about the trails & what we've all seen & just want to see for themselves what all the fuss is about. They're the ones who've come along to some rides & just sat in the carpark in the past, not the ones who hardly ever turn up, so they know us all anyway & know we'll look out for them.

I know that was the reason I started riding, too - I got sick of hearing about everything & wanted to see it myself. The funny thing is how different guys/gals minds really are - I get back telling Henk about this huge downhill or something & then have to explain to him exactly where I mean as he just didn't think anything of it. He then asks me how I did with something or other & has to explain to me where he means as I can't think what he's talking about. I guess it's also to do with different speeds & abilities.

Anyway, good luck in getting your wife interested in riding, you will find the pressure goes on once your daughter starts (perfect time for your wife to start, too) ;)

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
I did get my wife to ride my old bike which was an old Yamaha IT125 she didn't seem to mind it. She would rather be a passenger. She's had opportunities to ride quads,drive dune buggies and 4X4's and turned them down. I might try to get the 125 back from my buddy for her. I would like to see the day where my whole family is riding.

Steve

Top Bottom