Doubling on an MX bike ?? Bad for it?

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
Just another dumb "blonde" question from 250girl ;

Is it damaging or bad to do doubles on an MX bike? The other day my friend and I doubled on the RM250 for 2 hours straight. I know that MX bikes were certainly never built for two riders, no passenger pegs, a lovely flat seat that just has "fly off of me" written all over it, and the power delivery is definitely enough to dislodge a second rider. The two of us combined must weigh about 260, and neither one of us exceeds 5'7''. So neither one of us can touch the ground, we look like a couple of escapees from a mental institution.

But back to the point, we do a lot of doubling on the MX bikes I ride, and I was just wondering if it is bad for the suspension or any other part of the bike?

Dec 8, 2007
It may prematurely decrease the free length of the rear spring below the service limit, but it would take an awful lot of double riding. One thing I've found works for sharing the pegs is; if your friend is wearing pretty strong boots have them put there toes on the pegs then you put your heels on there toes.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Umm, 2 blondes doubling a jump for hours, and not 1 pic? My whole day is ruined, I will be making a picture all day now! It is more an issue for the riders,not the bike, the bike is lucky! At least your shop had nothing to do with this one?

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
haha up until i read me and my friend were on it i thought you were asking if it was bad to do a double jump! :laugh: but i dont think it will do too much damage. if youre going to ride like that a lot i would think about stiffening the rear shock though.

Richter415

Jun 23, 2006
I have seen people get there feet caught in the rear wheel doing this. I personally woul not ride double without buddy pegs but thats for human safety reasons not bike safety

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
ignition retard said:
if your friend is wearing pretty strong boots have them put there toes on the pegs then you put your heels on there toes.

Oh heck, we aren't even that professional. Neither of us have boots, we ride in runners and jeans. If it is really hot we wear shorts, and sometimes even miniskirts. But that is how we do it, the one on the back puts her toes on the pegs and my feet go over top, works pretty good. Although, I have learned the hard way, NEVER wear high heels on a dirtbike, just not a smart idea. And for safety reasons we do tuck in our shoelaces when doubling to prevent them from getting caught in any moving parts.

Whenfoxforksruled, you have got it all wrong. 2 hours of hardcore mountian riding, no man built jumps or nice smooth tracks involved. And I am very sorry about the lack of pics, I know it is pure torture for you :nener: Although, I think I actually do have some pics.... it just won't let me post them :yell: :bang:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
As much as I am enjoying the thought,, you really are developing a new type of off road riding. Sure I have given people death rides on back, and been there myself a couple of times. But trying to control the bike is way more difficult, and in the air insane! Load the pics up on some pic server, then post the link. And be careful on that bike!

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I really doubt that it would hurt the bike any.

I don't know about where you live but riding double on a bike/quad that wasn't built for a second rider is illegal in California. I see people get tickets for that all the time. So you might want to avoid riding past the rangers when you are doing that......

Rod

motogeeze

Aug 11, 1999
Your not gonna hurt the bike, more likely one or the other of you is going to wind up with a badly twisted or even broken ankle or worse if you continue to ride in shorts and tennis shoes ( and I wont even begin to believe you actually are allowed or are dumb enough, oh duh!, check the screen name, to ride in a miniskirt????!!! ) . One good crash or fall over even at low speeds can inflict serious damage. And if your riding together with both your feet on the pegs at the same time your control of the shifter and brake not to mention being able to shift your weight from peg to peg is seriously impaired. In short ..your both an eyelash away from at the least a nasty spill to at the worst serious injuries.
Get your friend a bike of her own to ride along with you ...much more fun and definitely safer...

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
motogeeze said:
( and I wont even begin to believe you actually are allowed or are dumb enough, oh duh!, check the screen name, to ride in a miniskirt????!!! ) . One good crash or fall over even at low speeds can inflict serious damage.
Jeeze! Ya ol' fart. :whoa: You're no fun. :fft: JK. ;)

This is just another one of those threads that's worthless without pictures. :rotfl:

2fitty girl. My wife and I have ridden many miles on various MX bikes with no ill effects. Ok, well we did crash once on Snowy trail up in Gorman but it was an easy slide down. Nobody got hurt. It helps a lot to install passenger pegs on the bike. Without passenger pegs it's harder to control the bike because your passenger is flailing around on the back of the seat. Other than it being harder on the clutch, I don't see a problem with it hurting the bike.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom