Doug Henry Injured

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Rumours flying around that Henry was life flighted from the track yesterday at a Supermoto event in New Smyrna Beach FL. I don't want to speculate on what exactly his injuries are but it sounds serious, if your so inclined, say a prayer for Mr. Henry and his family.

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
I heard a broken back and was going into surgery. Doug Henry is one of the good guys, he's had enough heartache. Good luck Doug, if anyone can fight through this he can.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
From Cycle News:
It was reported last night that Supermoto Champion Doug Henry had a bad practice crash in New Smyrna, Florida where he broke his back and couldn't feel his legs. Henry was taken to a hospital in Daytona where he underwent surgery last night.

Our latest update says that Henry's back was in fact broken, and the fracture was in the same spot he broke it in 1997. The surgery reportedly went well, and Henry now has regained a little bit of feeling in his legs.

http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=10529

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
That is really heartbreaking news. When Spider first started riding that was all I heard Doug Henry this Doug Henry that...... Our first trip to a National at Millville Spider got his dream come true when he met Doug and talked to him for a few minutes then Doug gave him his goggles (still hang in our house) and later when we were walking by Doug remembered him and asked if he still had the goggles with him. When Spider pulled them out Doug signed them for him. The next spring before Spiders 11th birthday I mailed an 8x10 photo of the 2 of them together to Doug and asked if he minded signing it for his birthday. less then a week later it came back with a birthday card and note written in it wishing him a great day and good luck racing. I was always proud Spider chose a great person like Doug as a role model.

I am praying for a quick and full recovery.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
one of the good guys.

as the boys used to say on Hee Haw:

"If it weren't for bad luck he'd have no luck at all"

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
I've always admired Doug for his never give up attitude. I hope he makes a full recovery.

Octane250F

Uhhh...
Oct 21, 2006
Truly sad news. I have a lot of respect for Doug Henry and I truly hope he makes a full recovery and can come back to racing.
I have a feeling he will hang it up after this though.

funkypunk97

Aug 30, 2006
Oh man this sucks ......

I remember meeting him a Broome-Tioga many years ago. It was his first public appearance since after he broke his back the first time. He was still not racing yet but he announced that he would return the next year and he did as we all know now.

I hope he's OK, and recovers 100%.... he is truly one of MX/SX best athletes ever....

MXobssesed4

Aug 2, 2006
When i was little Doug Henry was my hero, and still is

When i was four i went to Budds Creek 95' and saw my hero fall 30' from the sky and break his back

Then when i was 6 i went to Budds Creek 97' and again saw my hero break both his arms and had to have the fans take his googles off

Now this... :(

Last edited:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
RacerX updates:

http://racerxill.com/breakingnews/article/2507/doug-henry-update.aspx

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Poor Doug. I broke my ankle bad at a National HS in the summer of '95. Had screws and hardware in my ankle, was laying in my hospital room WAY uncomfortable right after surgery, flipped on the tube and the first thing I saw was Henry launch down that hill at Budd's Creek..........oh man.
Hope he recovers fully.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Bummer, he is one of the good guys. I have the Fox poster of him taking off his jersey showing his huge scar from the first one, the caption says "What's holding you back", or something along those lines....one of my heroes for sure.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
YZ165 said:
Bummer, he is one of the good guys. I have the Fox poster of him taking off his jersey showing his huge scar from the first one, the caption says "What's holding you back", or something along those lines....one of my heroes for sure.

We have the same one hanging in our bedroom...

This is terrible to hear - I truly hope he makes a full recovery.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
From Motorcycle Daily : http://www.motorcycledaily.com/042307pressrelease5.htm

Doug Henry Returns Home with Family

Press Release Issued By Yamaha Motor Corporation (April 23, 2007)

Cypress California, April 23, 2007 - Yamaha Motor Corporation is pleased to announce Doug Henry has been released from the Shepherd Center in Atlanta after six weeks of occupational and physical therapy and traveled home with his family to Connecticut this past weekend. During his stay he gained some small improvements with increased movement and feeling of his lower body.

Doug is in good spirits and happy to be home where his main focus will be to continue to strengthen his core body with additional physical therapy to help facilitate these improvements.

Doug and Stacey want everyone to know how much it means to the Henry family to receive the cards, letters and support from family, friends and fans.

Cards and letters can continue to be sent to Doug Henry, c/o of the Racing Department, Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A., 6555 Katella Avenue, Cypress, CA 90630.

Bakemono

Apr 21, 2007
Its good to hear he is out of the hospital and back home. Hopefully he will eventually regain full use of his legs.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
YZ165 said:

Yes, we have that poster framed and hanging in the bedroom. "What's stopping you?" It gives me chills to think that someone can suffer that much trauma and get back into riding.

Hero? Oh yeah. Big time.

Doug, if you happen to read this thread, you ARE the man, and I hope you recover fully, and ride many, many more laps.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…