DRN member needs your thoughts and prayers

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Mark's going to have a lout of hard work and tough times ahead of him. For anyone who would like to send a note of encouragement, you can send them to my house and I'll pass them along.

Mark Shuler
c/o Mike Nyland
10 Lambeth Walk
Columbia, SC 29229

Cards and letters only, please. No money, toy motorcycles, etc. As a matter of fact, until we find out how well the family is handling things, I think it would be better to not stress motorcycling too much, but rather our hopes for his future. Mark's a tough cookie and I'm sure would like to hear from his friends at DRN, but I don't know how well his family would handle MX posters on the walls of his hospital room.

I don't know how much Mark posted, but I do know he hung out and read a lot of the stuff in the pumpkin room (he's got a 250MX/C). Between the RM and the KTM, he *must* have a good sense of humor!

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Originally posted by MikeT
He seems like one tough dude. I guess the surgery went well? Does he have any feeling in his legs at all?
Mike,
He is tough! Surgery did go well, but his improvements so far are small but give us all hope. We are hoping when the swelling goes down in his neck from the surgery he will regain the feeling in his legs. He had a setback yesterday and they had to sedate him to remove fluid from is lungs. He will remain sedated for several days and they plan to perform a tracheotomy today or tomorrow to ease his breathing. If things go well they still plan to transfer him to Atlanta next week.

To all,
Thanks for the continued thoughts and prayers. Gomer thank you for taking the lead with the card coordination from our DRN buds.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Thanks Scott. Keep us updated.

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Thought I’d give an update on Mark’s progress.

He was transferred to Atlanta last Monday. They’ve been working hard and successfully to keep fluid off his lungs. He’s currently on a ventilator, but Saturday he was off of it for 8 hours and off for 6 hours on Sunday. The Docs believe in a couple of weeks he will not need it at all.

His paralysis is still significant, however his outlook is outstanding. He has gained some movement in his wrists and has some feeling in his thumbs. With time and a lot of work hopefully he’ll regain full use of his hands. He is really ready to get to work on his rehab but must get out of ICU to do so. Soon!

He is a surveyor and is already thinking of ways to convert an ATV to enable his work. Mark is a determined trooper that WILL bounce back!

Thanks for the cards! :thumb:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
That's great news!

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Where most people seem to get bummed, he seems to be still accelerating. I am glad to hear he is in good spirits.

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Thanks guys! :thumb:

I must say that Mark is a great guy and I’ve always had great respect for his intelligence and drive. I just can’t describe just how much more respect I have for him now, given his condition, that his determination is sooo strong. He’s really incredible. :worship:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Hopefully, this is a swelling issue and (quickly) over time the pressure will go down and allow the nerves to start functioning again.

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Michelle,
You ROCK! I received your card for Mark on Tuesday. He'll get it tomorrow. I’m going to ask Stumpy to give me a call when he gives it to Mark. Seeing that postmark from NZ is awesome. To think that folks all around the world are pulling for you. Unreal!

To everyone that has sent cards, prayers and thoughts. Thank You! You are a true testament to what this sport is all about. :thumb:

:worship:

Attachments

• nz-mdflag.gif
    nz-mdflag.gif
    9.8 KB · Views: 62
Top Bottom