DR250

Apr 18, 2001
smb_Katoomer (Dan)-
I also have a 90 DR250 and was curious to any mods that you have done to the bike. My bike is still completely stock and is going to need some rebuilding soon. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks
Carrie

------------------

smb_katoomer

Feb 24, 2001
well, when i got the bike the airbox was opened up, the jetting redone, and i had a modified exaust. ohter than that it is mainly stock except for wheels and brakes. As for the motor, well. . .just take it like this. If it looks like it could be replaced, do it. when i tore down, i had cylinder honed, new piston, rings, all seals from top to bottom new valves, springs, had seats reground, timing chain, and head decked. The head modification wasn't planned, it just kinda happened after a stubborn head bolt.

Anyway, after it was all said and done, i have a bike that has great low end, decent mid ( whic i will soon cure with the help of big gun) and top end that i have never toped out on trails.

there was a guy on here a while back and he said something about the possibility of grinding down the flywheel for more snap, but i don't know if he ever figured out a way to do it.

oh yea, one thing that my bike will always have on it is some bridgestones m78. this tire seems to really put the dr's tractor power to the ground.

i hope all this helps, but what if any are on your bike? maybe we could help each other out a little?

------------------
-Dan
90 dr250
94 ktm 125

DR250

Apr 18, 2001
A have a stock Dr250. They only thing changed from stock would be the tires. I will soon be putting on a Dunlops, front and back (I got a good deal on them - Free!!)

I was thinking of opening up the airbox,but a little nervous about doing so. The bike runs great now and I didn't want to mess it up. But I ride with an XR600 and a YZ250WR. And at times it is trying to keep up (only on flat straights, hills they better watch - that DR will go anywhere. But I noticed the bike doesn't have the power it had when I first got it.

What jets do you have in the carb? Are they the stock ones. My bike has a hestitation when you crack the throttle open from idle. It also happens when coming out of a turn from idle. Does your bike do the same?

I was also contemplating rebuilding the engine this fall and was wondering if it would be worth it. For the sounds of it, I probably should.

Thanks for the info. and help!!

Carrie

------------------

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
Carrie,
the only time dan had problems with hesitation is when his pilot jet was nearly plugged up with dirt, you might try cleaning that out. Also it would hesitate when we rode through any type of water and that appears to have been due to the long airbox drain tube which we shortened, hasn't done it since. A fresh spark plug will also do wonders for the bike's performance.

------------------
Jeff-
'84 Can-Am ASE 250 (brutally fast rat bike)
'93 Kawasaki KDX200 (big bore kit, A-Loop suspension, FMF pipe)

smb_katoomer

Feb 24, 2001
the jetting is oversized, i can't remeber the exact number, but i have it running rich right now. my good friend jeff(smb racing) has stated a question i wanted to ask you...does your dr suck up water? like really bad? as jeff said a long vent hose from my airbax seems to be the culpreit, but i haven't ran it through massive amounts of water yet so....

by the way, that is a good deal on tires, beats the bejesus out of the $155 i shelled out for my bridgstones and tubes.

i assume the snorkel is still in your airbox. Anyhow, mine is removed. i have also seen the entire airbox lid taken out with the help of a dremel tool, but mine is only enlarged not absent.

if your lacking any power it is probably getting to be time to tear down. but you shouldn't put off what you could do today. i have a friend who is the classic example of this and because he waited to fix things right on his bike, he will now have to spend about three times what i spent on my bike when she was apart over the winter.

oh, the cough off idle could be jetting, need for teardown, bad filter. . etc. get her fixed and tinker with her until she suits your needs!!!

------------------
-Dan
90 dr250
94 ktm 125

el presidente

Dec 21, 2000
dan
i am getting sick of being dogged on here. for once can't u say something good about me. but i have a dr-350 and i am pleased w/ my bike but as he said earlier i hafta work on it right now, about 1,000 dollars worth, but it will live again

------------------
'91 dr 350
smb_racing co-founder

DR250

Apr 18, 2001
I just cleaned by carb and jets last Friday so that isn't the problem. The air filter was just cleaned a few weeks ago also. I have never had any problems with the bike taking on water. I have only submarined one bike and it wasn't his one.

I put a clean plug in yesterday and I was adjusting the clutch for a few minutes letting the bike run at idle. WHen I pulled the plug it was half white and half brown. My pilot air screw is turned all the way in (it was like that when I cleaned the carb the other day). Don't know where to go from here, up a size in the pilot? The bike also runs alittle rich at full throttle, but I have been playing the the adjustments on that. We have a ride this weekend so I'll see how it works out.

If I remove the snorkel, where should I start with jet sizes? Right now I have 35 and 130.

Thanks alot for everyones help. Greatly appreciated!!!!
Carrie

------------------

DR250

Apr 18, 2001
Dan,

I was also wondering how difficult was it to get the timing correct when you rebuilt the motor? Any tips?
Thanks again

Carrie

------------------

smb_katoomer

Feb 24, 2001
one question carrie, does your bike cackle or backfire? it sounds like it is running really lean, i wouldn't mess with the jet i would mess with air screw. when you cleaned the carb did you take it completely apart, i mean everything? with your bike getting ready to need a top end, running lean is rather dangerous. you can have a bike that is running rich and it will be ok, lean is dangerous cause you could burn the rings up. when my bike was running lean i took the carb apart about four times, but i never took the jets out. come to find out the pilot was clogged around the outside, and it simply wasn't letting enough gas in.

oh yea, i rebuilt my motor, but i had a friend of mine time it. He is a mechaninc at the local suzuki shop. i put a lot of money in my topend, and i wasn't about to mess it up so. . .

oh yea, the reason why i had to rebuild my motor: i submarined it. i was flying down an old clearcut and came to a big mudhole. i thought to myself, bring up the front, guess what, that wasn't a mudhole, it was a miniture pond. long story short, the water was about 3 inches below handlebars.

------------------
-Dan
90 dr250
94 ktm 125

Tree Crippler

Jun 8, 2000
I had a DR350 and I cut the top of the airbox with a dremel. Bump up the mainjet and put on a disc system exhaust. You will think you have a different bike with these changes.

------------------
No smoke 4 stroke! WR400 allowed in any smoke free building!

DRdave

Nov 15, 2000
I called engines only they shave down the flywheels of ttr's and they have shaved DR250/350's but got mixed reveiws from the owners. So who here is brave and is willing to give this a try.the cost of a new flywheel is $275.00 in case you want to return back to stock.

------------------

Top Bottom