MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
DRN Member Needs Job! ANYWHERE

I am unfortunately not having much luck finding the kind of work that I do in my area and have to do something soon. I have two- 2 yr degrees in computer engineering and electronic engineering but what I have done the last 10 yrs is 'process controls'. I program PLC's, DCS's and HMI's. I have many years of experience with Modicon, Honeywell, AB, TI etc etc PLC's... 5 yrs with Honeywell TDC3000 DCS, 2 yrs Fisher Provox DCS... am considered an expert with Intellution software (OS2, Fix32, iFix etc). Have mucho experience with Uticor, Magnetek VFD's. Micromotion flowmeters, many LIW and massflow meters and tons of various control devices... E-mail me with any info and I can send resumes - references etc. Thanks all!

Last edited:

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Not me! Our company uses Modicon PLCs for much of factory automation.

Some AB as well, our plant engineers do all the programming on Unix.

Good luck Eddy!

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Try monster.com & hotjobs.com under controls, facilities or the like. Seems to me there's been openings for that; there's a guy in our group who does that here, but he's not leaving anytime soon.

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Originally posted by mtngoat
Try posting at www.volt.com
Already did

Originally posted by placelast
Try monster.com & hotjobs.com under controls, facilities or the like.
Did that too.

Put the word out to friends and family, gave his resume to several of them. Posted resume on job boards. Sent to employment agencies such as Volt and Manpower. Extended search to anywhere in the US. Aprox 50+ resumes sent out. Nothing. :(

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Not to bring you guys down but its tough out there. My father in law came out from KC last week. They want to move back here. He also hit all the agencies and job boards.

I did hear of a new site today. It is www.jobsummit.com

Good luck

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Instrumentation

I work for an engineering company that does Petrochem projects (hydrogen plants mostly, in our location), and sit not far from a very loud Instrument Engineer (from one of the Southern states, I think). I hear a lot of chatter about PLC's, DCS, Micromotion, etc.

I went over to ask one of the lead guys (not the loud one) if they usually hire anyone that has this kind of experience, because almost everything you've mentioned comes up in the Process and Instrumentation departments.

I'm not very conversant on the subject, but he said something like, "we don't often use the PLC's, but go directly to the DCS, but Parson's in Pasadena uses the PLC (Process Logic Controller). Or something like that.....I think :think

Don't worry, I'm a "piper", so you won't have to work with me directly. ;)

Yes, it is a tough market - the youngest person in our department is 44 - sort of age discrimination in reverse. I've been doing this for 20 years, which makes me one of the least experienced people in the company.:eek:

I'll email ya.

Last edited:

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
Good luck TTR,
I went through this thing for the last 6 months, sent resumes out daily, checked monster and brilliant people, contacted headhunters, etc.
Wanted to move south really bad but settled :( for anything, anywhere(pay cut and all) Finally worked out, but first it burned a huge hole in our pocket.:think
My recommendation: don't depend on monster or Brilliant people, etc.
Over the course of time I sent out at least 300 resumes for positions that I was qualified for, results: Zero.
My point? Be patient and don't let it bring you down, keep riding:)
Again, best of luck to you!!!!

Dr.billZ

May 15, 2000
If things keep going the way they are, I might not be far behind you in the unemployment line :eek:
Folks, you need to get out and go about your lives, as usual or there will be many of us in the same boat.
TTR Guy: Good luck finding the job you want.

KDX1

Mod Ban
Jun 5, 2001
I'm a subcontractor with TEK Systems wich is a staffing company for the IT industry. The company I'm subcontracted for is Computer Sciences Corporation (CSC). They are a very big company and deal primarily with the Govt. The companies I've mentioned have web sites: www.csc.com and
www.teksystems.com
I hope that this information helps. Keep us posted on your search progress.
Good luck! :D

00' KDX 200
Procircuit pipe & silencer
95' XR 250R (first bike)
AMA
GNCC

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Bein' GSR's houseboy just don't pay all that well, eh? ;)

Ever thought of a different tack? Maybe the tech industry isn't all that great a place to be lately. There must be something out there in Kalifornia that pays decent (that ain't flippin' burgers!)

Heck, I hear they were trying to get the minimum wage in Berkeley somewhere around $15/hr!

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Thanks for the info guys. In case I wasn't clear - I am now looking for a job ANYWHERE (well almost) in the US. I am checking out the leads and please keep your eyes and ears peeled for me.

chooch

Mar 6, 2001
Hey I'm in the same boat buddy. But I don't want to compete with you here. I'm graduating Computer Science in December and things are looking pretty bleak. Hope you find what you are looking for. Best of luck,

JohnnyB

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
TTR Guy,

Here is another site to try http://www.bajobs.com/

It mainly services the S.F bay area. It has Genetech which is hiring. I took a quick look at the software engineer section, it's full of jobs.

Something to think about as to where may be job openings in the near future, Pharmaceuticals. The drug companies will be working overtime for some time to come IMHO.

Best of luck.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Thanks for the tips guys... I am checking them out now. I will let you know if/when anything turns up and appreciate any more ideas. What a crappy time to be looking for a job :(

TravisCR500R

Mar 21, 2001
Try this....

Hey...try www.hanford.gov. go to employment or jobs (cant remember which) The vitrification plant (turns nuke waste into glass for "safe" burial) is gonna be up and starting to run in 5 years...in the meantime, they need people to build the damn thing!
And, the PFP (plutonium finishing plant) i have "heard" might be starting up again as well.
Hanford jobs are gravy till the day you die. and its 300 sunny days a year here in eastern washington.
Hope this helps
Travis Rydberg

Top Bottom