Bagadonitz

May 30, 2002
Would owners or people who have ridden this bike let me know of its pitfalls.

I'm about to trade my street bike (1999 TLR 1000) straight across for an 2002 DRZ400E and I need some reassurance that I'm getiting the right bike. I already know that I want to ride dirt instead of street I'm just wondering if I should go this route or get an RM250 or a CR250. The only dealer that will deal with me has Zooks and Hondas so those three are pretty much my choice.

Riding? Well I live near the mountains so tight trails will definitly be in the bikes future. But also it will get some prarire and fire road duty. I've convinced myself that the DRZ is the best choice because of this.

However I do want to be able to go to the MX track occasionally. Will the DRZ be sufficient here? I plan on beefing up the suspension off the start as I'm a bit on the large size.

Basically I really want a two stroke before they are extinct but being pratical I think that the DRZ will be the longer lasting more fun bike and more ept at the majority of my anticipated riding. I'm used to mundow torque low in the the rev range as well. My 130 HP TLR has flat torque and power "curves" and I figure that the DRZ will be like this? Is this correct? Does it have any hit at all or will I have to rely on terrain for the buzz?

Merci!

B

biglou

The DRZ is a fine bike. A bit on the heavy side, but I moto'd mine about 50% of the time and wood's rode it the other 50%. Keep in mind that I never got/get big air, and I am a large fella, too. With just a few low-no dollar mods, you can wake that thing up quite a bit from its stock form. Feel free to email if you want a mod list for the bike. Also check out ThumperTalk's DRZ board. That is a great place for info specific to this bike. Let me see if I can link to the pic in my gallery here:

19516DRZYosh6-2.jpg

Top Bottom