jerude

Dec 2, 2004
now that it is almost impossible in california ,i want to street license my kdx 200. i am going to attempt to get an arizona plate. has anyone else tried this? i plan to use a .baja designs or trick kit, can i use my stock head and taillights converted to brake/tail or do i need the big old ones that they sell with the kits ? how about the big mud flap and dot tires? i think once its been registered in another state i should be able to get ca tags. any thoughts, comments or suggestions are appreciated

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
It's a research project and is state dependant.
For example, in Maryland plastic tank is ok, MUST have DOT approved, tires, mirrors on both sides, headlight (approx. minimum is 50 watts), tailight, and turn signals, plus a battery backup that will keep lights on 15 minutes with a dead engine.
It's also hard to get an inspector to sign off on this conversion and I formaly was a licensed State Inspector!
IMO, traffic is getting so vicious, I'm thinking the bike doesn't have enough power to make me feel safe, plus I feel street riding at posted speed limits will cause unde wear.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I have had two dual sported KDX's ('90 KDX200 and '91 KDX250) in California and a dual sported XR250.

Not sure about recent changes to the law - you may want to post in the SoCal forum as people there have recently dual sported dirt bikes, and they are unlikely to visit the KDX forum. I know you are not supposed to be able to get a plate for a red sticker bike, but there might still be hope for a green sticker bike.

When I did mine (Baja kit) it was the same procedure as dual sporting a green sticker 4 stroke. Put on the kit, have the bike inspected at an authorized lighting inspection station (most dealers or repairs shops can do this) and take the papwerwork and statement of facts signed by the lighting inspector to the DMV. Not all DMV's are created equal; some of them have no clue and may deny you even if you are 100% legal.

In CA, a dual sport is great for connecting trail networks in remote areas, but the KDX200 certainly does not make a great highway bike, even if you gear it up a tooth on the countershaft.

On the out-of-state plate deal, if you get pulled over and your plate and registration do not match your driver's license address, you are going to have some explaning to do and may be subject to fines.

jerude

Dec 2, 2004
thanks for the info. i know the kdx would be hurting on thr street, i really only want a plate for trail connecting purposes. i have read lots of posts about vermont but they are all old, is this a viable option still? how illegal is it to have your bike registerd in another state? would this just be a minor infraction or is it a serious thing? thanks again for your help.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I've heard the DMV got wise to the Vermont thing, but I could not offer any particulars.

You might still be able to legally convert your green sticker KDX in CA - I would give Baja Designs a call and see what they say.

It's been a while since I was concerned about a plate on my dirt bike. However, it is one thing if you are an out of state resident that moves to California with a legally plated dirt bike from another state. That's alot different than being a California resident who is attempting to get around the state law.

If you live here and ride here, but send your money to another state for vehicle registration, the bureaucrats get cranky. Not sure about fines and penalties, but California wants your money.

Top Bottom