kx200

Feb 1, 2001
The stock lighting coil is weak so a 35watt head light is about all. As far as the brake light a 1157 will draw 32 watts so you’ll have to run a LED replacement.

razrbakcrzy

Aug 12, 2004
Call Baja Designs, they are very helpful. Make sure you tell them that you are going to need a high output lighting coil and would like to substitute the regular tail light assembly for the led assembly. These (2) things will make the lighting system much more effective. The cost will be some where around $450.00. The kit is very complete and if you need, you can call them on the phone and they will walk you throught the installation. I was very impressed with their customer support.

www.bajadesigns.com

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
If you want it to be street legal, check with you local DMV.
In MD we need DoT approved headlight and tailight (stock units will not pass) as well as turn signals, battery backup, mirror, a speedometer. As stated above stock lighting coil doesn't have enough output and Baja Designs does have a kit that will probably meet requirements.

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
Lighting stator needs to be rewound, signals and mirrors I need, battery NO. I did get it registered as a MOTORCYCLE in NY as of yesterday. Thats the hardest part, WHOO :laugh: HOO

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
Jim Crenca said:
Your lucky in NY; the battery requirement in most states is for emergency lighting if engine dies.
I should say, I don't believe I need a battery, but hey, I'll through a couple of 9v under the seat to appease them :rotfl:

hockeyboy

Oct 13, 2003
I live in New York also. How did you get it registered in this state. I have a 2004 KDX 220, but they made me register it as a ATV. Not only did that mess me up in N.Y. But when I tried to get it street registered in Vermont, that state wouldn't do it because my N.Y. registration was stamped ATV. Please tell me your secret process. Thanks

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
In MD they require that the lights stay fully illuminated for something like 15 minutes with the engine off so it takes a pretty good size battery

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
hockeyboy said:
I live in New York also. How did you get it registered in this state. I have a 2004 KDX 220, but they made me register it as a ATV. Not only did that mess me up in N.Y. But when I tried to get it street registered in Vermont, that state wouldn't do it because my N.Y. registration was stamped ATV. Please tell me your secret process. Thanks
No secret, I just told them I was registering a motorcycle and WALA

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom