dirtybkr

Mar 17, 2000
I have spent my entire adult life with the knowledge that duct tape holds the world together . Everybody knows that if it can't be fixed with duct tape , it can't be fixed ....Or can it .I was at a turkey run yesterday and used many zip ties but no tape .Are Zip ties becoming the new fix all ?

So which is it people ? Duct tape ,or Zip ties ? If you had to live with out one , which would it be ?

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Both have their places.

Zip ties will not hold a rip closed on pants and duct tape will not keep a flat tire on a rim.

Both are in my seat pack.

You forgot to mention bailing wire. but I limit it to trailer repairs mostly. :laugh:

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
Zip Ties can in fact hold ripped clothing together. Just make little holes on each side of the rip and stitch er up just like new, lol, well almost, it will at least suffice until a garbage and new clothing are found. Lol. Staples are handy for this kind of job too.

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
zip-ties hold half of the pants i wear to school on. Screw the buttons, they fall off after a few months i put a zip-tie in its place.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
Zip ties can also be used in a pinch to repair a badly cracked finder. Drill holes on either side of the crack and stitch it up! Also I remember a post on here about a guy the broke his master link and used a zip tie in the chain and made it back a few mile to his truck. He had picks of the chain zip tied together.

Tony, zip ties are the new bailing wire!

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Zip ties are not only useful for repairs but are becoming a fashion trend. They are available in multi colors that make striking nose and ear rings. Bracelets, rings and even chokers are items that can be made from zip ties too. Just use your imagination.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Duct tape and bailing wire :cool: Bailing wire has rebuilt many rear fenders!!

BadCRC

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2003
Northwest Georgia
Gotta love the zip ties. 2 of them fit perfectly through most holes where a screw belongs. :laugh: Safety wire and duct tape are always right next to the zip ties in my fanny pack.

More than once I've helped a fellow rider secure their silencer with zips when they lost the screw holding it on.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
I love both. But, duct tape can hold YOU together (ie. stop you from bleeding) Zip ties can't do that. :)

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
I say they are equally useful. There are things zip-ties can't fix, but duct tape can and vise versa. That is why I carry both in my trail pack and my pick-up. :cool:

GREENBEAN

Jan 8, 2000
Yeah I have used both and I carry both. I have to say I have given a lot more zip-ties away on the trail than used myself. I have zipped silencers back on for fellow riders and "repaired" clutch mounts on the trail. Duct tape has fixed flags and a combo zip tie and duct tape has been used to remount a flag for me after the mount broke. I used to carry wire too. Now I need to carry hose to siphon my tank for my buddies who dont want to buy a bigger tank. It is fun seeing them spitting gas out.. and running out of water at the same time. I almost pissed myself laughing last time that happened!!!

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
I personally use many more zip ties than I do duct tape... Both have their places though and both can be used to fix ANYTHING (with a little McGyvering)...

- BA

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Danman said:
Zip ties can also be used in a pinch to repair a badly cracked finder. Drill holes on either side of the crack and stitch it up! Also I remember a post on here about a guy the broke his master link and used a zip tie in the chain and made it back a few mile to his truck. He had picks of the chain zip tied together.

Tony, zip ties are the new bailing wire!

Now I have tried this but could not make it work. Of corse it was on a CR500. It would snap as soon as you let the clutch out. Even giving it a push start it would still snap.

Whoever managed to do that musta done it on a 125 with some monster zip ties.

I prefer saftey wire to hold the chain together. Loop it thru a few times and tie it off. Much stronger than zip ties.

Akira

Aug 29, 2003
I think that Tape is the best. How could Red Green Be wrong. It does fix everything.

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
My school marching band drum's are almost completely duct tape. The harness's all have padding duct-taped on. And today, i recently add some zip-ties to my harness, bacuase we were sadly out of duct tape. The music is even duct-taped on the drums. Lol. The only complaint is the the sticky part comes off on the uniforms. But whent aht happens we get to ditch the stupid things and wear T-Shirts. Hell Yeah, i love duct tape! :D

Top Bottom