Midly amusing tales: United Parcel Service (a bit long-winded)

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
So last October I moved to the City of Chicago, where the water is free and everything else costs twice what it should. I'm still adjusting to my 1100 square feet of condo, priced at what 120 acres of prime Illinois farmland could be bought where I come from. Also adjusting to working on my bikes in a dimly lit 10x20 storage unit (I really miss my garage). Over the weekend I pulled off the forks and shock from my brand new, never-even-started 2004 KX250 (it's a long story). I packed them in my $20 plastic Walmart gun case for shipping to Drew Smith at W.E.R. Drew revalved my '03 KX250 suspension for woods riding and did a good enough job that the '04 suspension is getting the same treatment.

Last night I drove downtown to the Loop and parked half a block from the UPS service center. Gun case in hand, I walked over to to the UPS place. Surprisingly, nobody gives a second look to a guy walking through downtown Chicago, at night, with a gun case large enough to carry a pair of AK-47's. I walked through the polished marble lobby of an office building to get from the Palmer House Hilton parking garage to the UPS place and even the security guys there didn't seem to care (my guess is, people carrying large firearms in the city probably don't go to the trouble of putting them in gun cases).

First thing the nice lady behind the UPS counter asks for is a picture ID. I show her my Missouri driver’s license. She says it doesn’t match my home address (true). I made up a story about how I just moved here (sort of true) and will be getting an Illinois license soon (pretty much true). Now she’s really not sure what to do. I tell her the Missouri license is all I got. Finally, reluctantly, she says it’s ok.

Now it’s time to weigh the gun case. She gives it one look and says “You have to have some type of locking mechanism on that.” I ask her to elaborate. She can’t. Just repeats what she said. Keep in mind, I’ve duct-taped the 4 latches to keep them closed. Put a pair of zip-ties around each of the holes where padlocks could be used to secure it. And I specially drilled about 8 extra holes where the two sides of the gun case come together, just large enough to wrap even more zip-ties. My point is, the gun case is not coming open accidentally. There’s $3,000 in suspension parts in there. No way, no how. I ask, “What if I run out somewhere and get a padlock, would that work?” She says yeah, probably. I say, “Great. But what happens when the gun case arrives at its destination. How will the recipient open it?” This she has to think about. She responds, “I’m sorry, you have to have a locking mechanism.”

Around the corner was a FedEx counter. I took it there. No picture ID needed. No locking mechanism needed. And $29 later, I was done. And for that 30 minutes of torture, I had the privilege of paying the Palmer House Hilton $8 for parking. Gotta love Chicago (and UPS).

cainzel

Dec 27, 2005
i hear ya bro big joke my wife works for the post office . rules regulations . :bang: :coocoo: locks just keep the honest people out .

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
if we were smart, we would have all invested every penny we had in UPS and FEDEX when **** first started getting up to speed...

shifting

~SPONSOR~
Mar 5, 2003
MX-727 said:
FedEx :cool: (biased of course)

Sorry to disagree but Fed-Ex just hosed me!!! I ordered a bunch of parts from Service Honda and the idiot driver for Fed-Ex left my package by my mail box right next to the road. It states on the tracking number he left it at my front door but.....I was home and still no package nor did he bother to knock if he did indeed leave it by my front door. I have never had problems with UPS. Just Fed-Ex. Maybe it's just the clowns working in my area. I still don't know what he was thinking!?! :coocoo: Service Honda is going to look into it and Fed-Ex told me to get bent. Not their problem take it up with Service Honda. :|
Just had to vent.

dirtbikingdad

Oct 25, 2005
Everybody has a horror story about some delivery service. Nobody's perfect. As for Palmer House Hilton... I stayed there a few months back and they put me on the executive floor as an upgrade. Free of course. Private elevator, free use of the executive floor internet, and free snacks, drinks, food all day. Nice. Your $8 parking free probably paid for the chocolate chip cookies I skarfed down! :aj: Thanks! :laugh:

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I just used UPS to send my suspension away. I didn't use a gun case (instead I packed it in about 10 layers of bubble wrap and styrofoam) and didn't have a problem. I did get some funny looks when I insured the package for $3000. I have to say though that UPS Ground was great; the price was cheap ($40 US) and it was fairly fast for shipping to Texas by ground (less than a week).

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
This is my UPS "man":

Attachments

• ups.jpg
    ups.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 321

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
Masterphil, wow, with all of the mail order bike parts and gear I order, it may be well worth moving to your neck of the woods just to get on your UPS route. My wife might catch on though when I start ordering each item individually and on different days to ensure multiple deliveries each day of the week.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
UPS really is getting on my nerves these days. Sure thay all have their ups and downs but....
Before Christmas I ordered a bunch of parts for my son's CR85. I find them sitting on the side of the road sort of by the mail box. I call and explain I'd rather have my boxes left at the freakin' house please! Next day Fed-Ex has a delivery and it's besid the front door, nice. 2 days later another UPS delivery, this one in a nice big box with "HONDA" in big red letters across is again on the side of the road but much closer to the mailbox. I call again and explain I am expecting a motorcycle engine in a couple weeks and unless they want to drop $2,500 to replace it when it's gets picked up by somebody besifes me my stuff BETTER start engine up at the front door of my house. Well luckily the engine showed up via Fed-Ex :)

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
scraphous said:
by the way, what would make a MO. boy want to move chi-town anyway? doncha gotta haul atleast an hour to get to any dirt?

Yep. About the same as St. Louis.

There are some side benefits of living in the city, like about 100,000 women who look remarkably similar to that nice UPS lady, AND they have normal hands. And unlike St. Louis, they will actually speak to dorky dudes like me (most of the time a simple "Get lost, loser" but hey, at least they talk). And there's just something cool about hauling my woods-ready KX250 in my pickup truck down Ashland, knowing that I might be the 3rd dirt bike in the history of Chicago that's ever been seen on that street. I soooo want a street-legal Supermotard bike....

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
I have pics of that "UPS Driver" as well, however, her hands were smaller when I downloaded them... :think: ....

Top Bottom