E-Line Products - Beware

desert_racer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 2, 2000
So about 6 months ago I bought an E-Line Carbon Fiber Skid Plate for my scoot. I took it home and installed it and it fit and looked great. Did one ride, pulled it off to change the oil and noticed that one of the mounting tabs was paper thin after being tightened down. I took it back to my local shop and asked them if it could be replaced as I felt that it was poor workmanship on a $120.00 skid plate. My dealer called E-Line and they said that they would not replace it but if it broke within 6 months they would replace it. Well guess what. It broke. I took it back to the dealer and they sent it to E-Line to have it replace and E-Line refused to keep up on their end of the bargan. They said that they do not stand behind there product but would be happy to sell me another one.

Moral of the story....

DON"T DO BUSINESS WITH E-LINE

Hope this keeps someone else from buying one of their products thinking that if if breaks even as a result of poor workmanship it will be replaced.. Because IT WON'T :flame:

ride_red_15

Uhhh...
Oct 14, 2001
hmm... Kevin Hines is a great guy and ive never had any problems with him or any of his products...think it may have been just a one time thing?

B

biglou

It's been a year and a half or more, but I had some fairly serious issues with the fitment of my cf plate on my DRZ.  I emailed kevin and detailed all of my concerns and also added some rough measurement adjustments that I thought would take care of some of the issues I had.  He was very receptive, although I have no idea what ever became of the ideas since I didn't really want to return the plate.  I also never broke mine, but then again, I'm not that tough on my skidplates (read: I ride like a wuss!).

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I really like the pipe Guard I got from them...it is EXCELLENT. Plan on buying another for my second bike.

But, this is a good heads up as I go through skidplates quicker than I do tires and was considering a CF skidplate. I have to admit, this last Moose plate I got has been the best so far for the CRs except that the rounded mounting bolts look awful prone to being sheard off in one of my favorite rock gardens.

wsmc831

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
I've used eline CF skid plate this entire half of the enduro season, and got pretty nervous on a couple instances of casing it on very sharp rocks. I was pretty skeptical about CF for a skid plate but figured I'd give it a shot and go back to AL if it broke. I just looked at it the other day, and I must say it is in GREAT shape. Not a single problem. Same with the pipe guard.

.....so I'm hoping your's was an isolated incident.

desert_racer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 2, 2000
I agree that CF is probably not the best material for the skid plate and I'm really not upset that it broke as I am hard on my equipment.

But it just bothers me that E-Line refused to honor the warranty that they gave me on something that probably costs them less than $50 to make. To me your word is your bond and you don't keep customers by failing to keep your end of the deal.

I'm glad that no one else has had any problems with their E-Line products but I wanted to put this out for people to know about.

In the end all is well as my local dealer, North County Yamaha, in Escondido, Ca. stood behind their word and gave me a replacement aluminum skid plate gratis... I have to say that my loyalty to NCY has just gotten much greater.

Gardener

Jul 28, 2000
My front tabs broke on mine and the plate got ripped off. I was lucky I found it (a week later) as they are $$ here in Canuckistan. I made new mounts for it and used it for two seasons. It's toast, looks pretty but definitely not for the rocks. For price and value, my next one will be a Moose.

Gardener

Jul 28, 2000
I can't edit my post, but I wanted to add that it never really occurred to me that the product might have been at fault because on my 300 it's basically install and forget, I just asumed that I must have been at fault for not checking the allen screws for tighness or overtightened the screws in the mount and stressed the tabs. Regardless of what happened in your case, I can't imagine why E Line wouldn't send you a new mount, I mean it must cost them half a buck plus postage for a little goodwill, sheesh already.

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
I agree that CF is probably not the best material for the skid plate and I'm really not upset that it broke as I am hard on my equipment.

Please,

Desert-pantywaste hard on your equipment? :p
Somebody help me off the floor, as I have fallen into histerical laughing and I cant get up!

bundy

Top Bottom