E-X-C Seat = Excruciating Cross Crack

Kwi-Chang

Nov 17, 1999
Whats up with the EXC seats?
The traction gripper section is on the top and the sides are slick vinyl. This makes for excruciating monkey butt across the crack after a long ride.

Does anybody like the stock seat? Is the vinyl grippy with riding pants?

I would prefer the seat to have gripper on the sides and on the back part of the top. 2/3rds of the top at the front is the only part with the standard material. Does anyone make a seat like this or is this a custom job?

Kwi - The "getting sore just looking at it" guy.

ktmracer

~SPONSOR~
Aug 9, 1999
I recently bought a set of compression shorts with a pad in the crotch (insert your joke of choice here) they have really seemed to help with the monkey butt problem. i have had both types of gripper seats....full gripper and top gripper and these shorts have been the only help so far.

will

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Stand more.:)

MotoEnduro

~SPONSOR~
Mar 11, 2001
kwi, I didn't like that gripper seat either! Too hard to slide around on the seat for woods riding, and monkeybutt too. I took that seat cover off, and replaced it with a solid vinyl cover from Guts Racing. That ended the monkey butt :)
The folks at Guts are really nice and they would probably be willing to make you a cover with the vinyl on top and gripper on the sides.

Kwi-Chang

Nov 17, 1999
Patman - I do stand as much as possible (but at 40 something, sitting kinda seems to happen more often) and with the KDX I did not have any 'monkeybutt issues'. And have not with the 520 *yet* - it is brand new and hasn't been ridden.

When I added the higher seat foam on the KDX I had sections of gripper sewn into the sides - where you grip with your knees. This worked well. However, the EXC seat is harder and grippier (?) and I would think it would cause a case of harvest moon.

If I find that I need a higher seat foam that is probably the way I'll go.

Thanks

Padded shorts seem like a grand idea too!

tjwandel

Sep 25, 2001
I have a 200exc that I took out for it's first ride on Sunday. Came home with some serious monkey butt. I was looking into getting a pair of the padded shorts. Does anyone have any info on what brands and models are good?
Tom

ktmracer

~SPONSOR~
Aug 9, 1999
my set is made by thor but i beleive that MSR makes another line of clothing like this also. i think they are called msr impact shorts.

will

Shawn1

Jul 4, 2001
Man, I know how you feel. I turn 40 this year and switched from a KDX last year to a Gas Gas xc200. Awesome bike but the seat sucks. I just ordered foam from Guts and am trying to decide which cover to get. I ride tight woods also and need to move around on the bike and too much grip just seems to chaffe. I may try a Ceet in their new fine, smoother gripper.
As far as shorts, I just bought some reasonably priced padded bike shorts from the local sporting goods store. Feels like your wearing a diaper at first but definately helps.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Ahhhhh Grasshopper, you mock the mighty Patman, but you know he has much wisdom. To stand is to withstand the evil monkeybutt!!. To waiver and give in is to contact Gutsracing, and get the soft seat foam. If you want to learn to stand and endure, go on the Reno MoonRocks ride next February. The endless whoops will have you standing all the time, thus monkeybutt will not exist!

Grasshopper you will overcome, the temple has bestowed upon you the power and perserverance. ;) Now is it your choice to stand and overcome, or be overcome and contact Guts!

Kwi-Chang

Nov 17, 1999
Ahh St. Rick you too are a man of great wisdom.
Now I have left the Temple of my youth, the power and perserverance is waning. I have bought the best bike one can find to compensate for my somewhat less than zen-like performance as a rider. Maybe it is time to return to the Temple and have the Master burn my buttocks with a red hot exhaust manifold so as to kill the nerves endings and forever be free of butt pain. nahh maybe not - padded shorts sounds easier!

TWRT

Sep 13, 2001
as lawman said, desitin is the best kept secret. anyone who has had children, will have a tube laying around. one time after a long ride, i told my brother and friend to use it. their quote, 'my butt is so happy'........ when my children were babies and i applied desitin, there faces said the same thing:)

Tin Man

Mar 2, 2001
absolutely no excuse for the seats on any KTM,s you would think they would have addresed this problem by now. I have not read a single magazine article that does't complain about KTM's chrome moly seat padding. You do get used to it, Ceet makes an excellent seat cover, try Contra series

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Originally posted by Kwi-Chang
Ahh St. Rick you too are a man of great wisdom.
Now I have left the Temple of my youth, the power and perserverance is waning. I have bought the best bike one can find to compensate for my somewhat less than zen-like performance as a rider. Maybe it is time to return to the Temple and have the Master burn my buttocks with a red hot exhaust manifold so as to kill the nerves endings and forever be free of butt pain. nahh maybe not - padded shorts sounds easier!

Kwi-Chang

My response was meant to be funny, but your rebuttal is HILARIOUS!

ROFLMAO.

You very funny man!

Strick

Keith M

Oct 14, 2001
I came home late one night after a softball game half in the bag! and didin't want to wake up the wife so I stager into the bath room with no lights on to brush my teeth and load the toothbrush up with what I thougt was toothpaste! :scream: you guest it desitin! my mouth was dry for a week! so I can see how Desitin can work, my wife is still laughing at me its been ten years.

geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
Standing is not an alternative--not if you go on one, two or three week trips and try to ride almost every day. You always need to conserve some energy and protect your body for the next ride (unless your an olympic athelete or a hyper 16 year old, or whatever).

Bicycle padded shorts have disapointed me. Still not enough padding for that cement-form of a seat. If you're not comfortable with the tight waistbands on these shorts (I'm not) get them one or two sizes bigger. Then add another inch or two of padding between the bike shorts and your pants. That works. Looks strange, and feels stranger for awhile----but nothing like your rear end will feel for three months straight after a full day's ride without any extra padding. You'll feel like you fell off a ladder and landed on your tail bone.

Repeat after me: I will never take any long rides without padding...I will never take any long rides without...

slickhenry

Jul 13, 2001
I too have never understood the seats on these Katooms. I have a 99 and I love it but the seat is like a peice of wood. Who do they make these for? Does ANYONE like them?

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
Agree with the post - STAND MORE.

As a C and B rider on KDX's YZWR's and KX500's I got monkey butt. As I progressed to being an A rider I learned to stand more. Last three bikes were KTM380's. I'm 42yr old, a fatboy that sits behind a computer all day, and no more monkey butt.

It aint the seat.... An yes, every summer I go on week long rides.

STAND UP MORE! You'll be ten times the rider.

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Kwi,

I suggest you invest in two things - $50 cycling shorts that fit TIGHT (not the whimpy MTB rags) and a big ole tub of Vaseline.

Sometimes you can't avoid the sitting in really tight smooth stuff when your changs are up on the tank. Grease up the taint meat with the vaseline, strap on the shorts under your Fox jammies (no underwear either) and you should stop singin' the Cross Crack Blues after long rides.:moon:

Gotta love those new smilies!!!

Mikes Cycle on Baton Rouge was selling complete KTM seats that help some. I gots one, about $85, higher and with the perforated cover. Still need the above remedy on long rides though.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
here's 1 vote for ktm's stock foam. i think it actually causes less monkey butt than a soft saddle, b/c a soft 1 squishes around & makes it hard to move, & makes more friction than a hard 1 you sit on top of. the soft 1 also takes away your leverage over the bike when you sit on the saddle for hard turns in tight woods. i had a ktm for a while that came with a soft foam & hated it; it was so soft that i could feel the frame rails & hated the way it made the bike handle. i have a tall hard foam on my ktm now, but i have a super hard tall 1 sitting there waiting for me to get around to installing it. if you want a totally smooth cover, any auto upholstery shop can cut & install 1 for nominal expense. there's also a guy who i think does custom work, try www.badsaddles.com.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Originally posted by Keith M
I came home late one night after a softball game half in the bag! and didin't want to wake up the wife so I stager into the bath room with no lights on to brush my teeth and load the toothbrush up with what I thougt was toothpaste! :scream: you guest it desitin! my mouth was dry for a week! so I can see how Desitin can work, my wife is still laughing at me its been ten years.

:) :) :) ROTFLMAO!!! I almost shot my Iced-Tea out my nose all over my monitor!!

Desitin in the mouth! That's funny. My daughter is 2, so I have a glob of desitin on my right index finger everyday. That stuff is water resistant, so how are you supposed to wash it off? It's like my finger is laminated.

After my daughter was born, I started to recognize the smell of desitin in the pits at the races.

I too just got a new pair of those padded bike shorts. They're the best! They really make a difference.

Top Bottom