e2 200 engine

mark_england

Mar 6, 2002
i have an e2 90/91 engine

are there any known weak points, i should be aware of

also is the eric gorr 225 conversion posible with this engine?

i brought the engine and plan to bolt it into a kx125 frame

kx200

Feb 1, 2001
Check for hair line cracks on the clutch or mag side bearing casting. All you need to do is epoxy the 3 groves around the race.

mark_england

Mar 6, 2002
kx200 said:
Check for hair line cracks on the clutch or mag side bearing casting. All you need to do is epoxy the 3 groves around the race.

and youd do this even if it wasnt cracked?

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
mark_england said:
and youd do this even if it wasnt cracked?

Its been noted before that the grooves are a weak point. Fredette recommends that you fill them with JB Weld or similar epoxy to keep them from splitting.

The EG 225 kit is not possible with the 89-94 E series engines.

As John Cena noted the Kips valves snap in half. This tends to happen mostly for people to never jet the bike right and the resulting sludge the builds up on the valves locks them up and strips the teeth.

I believe that Fredette also recommends the E series KDX for KX conversions because the headstay is in the rear.

-Maurice

John Cena

Nov 11, 2004
Does the clutch thing crack wright near the kick-starter? Cause mine looks like its been welded and filed.

gn83tm

Dec 30, 2002
I have a 1990 motor in my hybrid bike and it's been a great motor ever since I bought the KDX new. When I did the hybrid I asked Fredette about buying a newer motor instead and he said I'd make more power and have a better bike with my old engine. I don't remember all the reasons why but with his porting the bike runs well.

The rear head stay on the E models is an advantage if you're using a 2003 or newer KX for the conversion since the head stay on it is also on the rear. If you're using the earlier KX it may be easier to use the newer KDX motor since everything is on the front. There have been guys who have welded a lug on the head and machined the other one off but that sounds like a less than optimal way of doing things. There aren't any issues with fuel tank clearance with the newer KXs either so the job ends up looking very OEM if it's done well. If you're needing the mounts for the rear scenario let me know since I had some extras laser cut at work when I did mine.

There's pics of my bike on the msn site if you care to check it out and if you need any other info on the hybrid job let me know since I have most of it documented fairly well.

mark_england

Mar 6, 2002
gn83tm whats ur msn site address, im an info junky at the minute,,, also what exhuast did u use?

gn83tm

Dec 30, 2002
My pics are on the KDX riders community site at:
http://groups.msn.com/KDXRidersCommunity/kx200gn83tmia.msnw
I hand built the exhaust from parts I bought from Dynoport. They do a pipe for the earlier hybrids but as of a year ago they didn't do them for the '03+ bikes. The exhaust was the most time consuming part of the job but it did turn out well in the end. Let me know if you have any questions.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…