csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
What should i have my engine idle speed as? my friend says it should be 4,000 rpm but that seems rediculously high

im thinking like 1500? or so? does anyone kno?

88kdx 200

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
turn it up or down til it sounds about right

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
About as low as you can get it go and not die every time you stop.

csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
thanks, Should the kdx be able to idle along without throttle? my ttr 125 could but my kdx doesnt seem to be able to.

Thanks

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
The Yammi probably had a lower 1st gear and a smaller venturi in the carb. Your KDX won't be doing much running along on it's own idle.

kawrider241

May 21, 2010
i keep mine so that it will only (and barely) idle at start up with the choke on. when its warm there is no idle. i prefer the benefit of engine breaking when on slippery terrain or on fast open areas. having your bike set to idle will negate some of that effect. its not way below idling but just to the point that it will stall out at about 5 sec. of no throttle.

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
I'd have it so that it idles in neutral or with the clutch in, but will not ride along at idle. The last thing you want is to fall off only to find the bike dissapearing off into the distance on its own. 2 stroke motors are not really for engine braking, brakes are for slowing you down on a 2 stroke. Don't have the idle set too low either, coz when going down long hills with the throttle off your motor will get no lube. Go with what 'ellandoh' said.

Last edited:

kawrider241

May 21, 2010
Just a little addition to my earlier post is that you will never find a performance tuned bike that idles(2-stroke). And when descending long downhills definitely pull in the clutch and use your brakes as far as engine braking it is a small effect but is noticeable and useful for short periods.

csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
That sounds like a good idea, have ur idle low so u can let off and it will help slow you down like your engine isnt running.

this doesnt hurt the engine does it? thanks

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
kawrider241 said:
you will never find a performance tuned bike that idles(2-stroke)
Never? Someone had better alert all the performance tuned to stroke owners and let them know.
"performance tuned. "What are you talking about, MX bikes, trail bikes, are you talking about anything other than a standard street bike or what?
We're talking about a KDX not a 500GP bike.
kawrider241 said:
And when descending long downhills definitely pull in the clutch and use your brakes as far as engine braking it is a small effect but is noticeable and useful for short periods.
And if you have your idle set so low it wont idle when you do that, then you will find yourself having to bumpstart it if you didn't keep the revs up manually, so what's the point? And that's not fun to do on "slippery terrain" downhills.

I personally have never been outbraked or passed under braking because the other guy had his idle set lower than me. Has anyone else?

csdwarf said:
That sounds like a good idea, have ur idle low so u can let off and it will help slow you down like your engine isnt running.

this doesnt hurt the engine does it? thanks
It can hurt your engine in extreme suitations. Just search these forums for the "my engine seized when slowing down" posts.

Sorry to disagree with you kawrider241, but having your KDX idle happily won't cost you the race and it will help to keep the bike lubed, and it will also give you time to put on your goggles with 2 hands after you have started the bike :) But if you are talking about supercross you may be right.

kawrider241

May 21, 2010
guys im not talking about taking the idle screw out but personally i use my throttle and clutch to control engine rpms and ive never had a lube problem my bike will idle with the choke on at startup but there is no reason for anything past imo. mabey this is just a person thing growing up on mx bikes but it transfered to the woods well for me.

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
Yup, it's a personal thing. I grew up racing MX as well and I never ran my bike with any idle. When I went to trail and woods riding having no idle became a pain in the .... and riding with the bike able to idle creates no real issues at all.

Top Bottom