KayDeeXer

May 7, 2004
Hey everyone! Just got an fmf gnarly woods pipe for my birthday! I got it a few days early because my dad wanted to put them on before the weekend was over (he got one for himself for father's day). I can't wait to try it out! I am just waiting for the rtv silcon to dry so I can fire it up! Sucks that I live in the middle of a city with no back yard because I wan't to actually ride the bike to test it out. Is there going to be a noticable difference? My bike already has an fmf turbine core II silencer. I also have taken the airbox lid off. We ride mainly tight, sloppy trails, so hopefully the pipe will give me more low end grunt. Thought I would ask you all if there is going to be a difference, cause it is going to be a while until I actually get to ride and I am too anxious to wait that long.

NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
sweet.... wish I could tell ya the difference, but I still have a stock pipe... :( ...also, wish someone would just give me one... :( ... everyone here seems to love them.... :)

yortz

May 16, 2004
Congrats on the new toys K D Xeer, I have the exact set up.One thing I would recommend is to cut the air box, or I should say open it up [ using a hacksaw blade] And bring it with you on your ride,the reason,at least in my case, my bike had a really bad off idle bog, or flat spot, and by putting on the modified air box it seemed to eliminate the problem. Have you re jetted?, I am running stock, it seams to do okay, but, I will try a 147 main, for the elevation that I ride, any how good luck....

GrassMaster

Dec 22, 2003
Yea i put that pipe and some other FMF Q Silencer on and it really woke up my KDX and I didnt even have to rejet it. Well worth all the money for the exhaust systems.

yortz

May 16, 2004
...well my 04 220 came stock with a 142 main, and the local kawa dealer said go up a notch,I thought it was 147 , but it is a 148. I thought I read were the bike in question was a 220. If it was a 200 , then that explains the differances.

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Rare that a KDX requires richer than oem jetting. What is the 148 main supposed to 'fix'?

In most cases an off-idle bog will be improved if not eliminated by an air screw adjustment........ given that jetting is close in the first place.

A pipe is generally considered to be the single biggest improvement you can make. If you don't realize a considerable performance improvement your bike has some other considerable problem.

yortz

May 16, 2004
My suggestion to the original poster was to open up the air box lid, and simply bring it along with him.I happen to have exact set up [04 220] with same pipe,silencer,and,stock jetting,removed air box lid. And still did not run 100%.But by putting on modified lid it ran way better.And the tech paper that comes with the pipe says 145 up to 148 on the main jet. And 42 on the pilot,and 3 rd position on the needle. Since my pilot jet was a 42 as suggested, and my needle clip was on the 3 rd position as suggested, So the only thing left to do per the spec sheet was to perhaps go to a larger jet per the spec sheet.Having only had this bike a month or so,I am not totally up to speed on it or any other 2 stroke for that matter. There far more finicky than my xrs of the past.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Yes, I read the original suggestion. Did I take some issue with that?

I didn't say a 148 was wrong, I just asked what it was supposed to 'fix'.

Indeed, a 148 is not uncommon for the 220 with an aftermarket pipe.

A 145 is one 'notch' up from a 142. A 148 would be two 'notches' up from a 142.

Any 2-stroke will likely be more 'finicky' than an XR or any other 4-stroke. Will run the wheels off it, too!

KayDeeXer

May 7, 2004
Hey all!

Thanks for all of the replies. I have in fact cut the snorkel out of my air box already. Just thought I would let you know that I started my bike up today! Sucks I can't actually ride. My bike definately sounds different though. It sounds more pingy to me (if that's a word). I like the new sound! Now I just have to ride the thing!

Thanks!

Top Bottom