zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
I have been using the a set of Fox elbow guards for the last 3 years, and they are getting pretty shot, the elastic bands arent holding up well and the pads slide down to my wrists when landing jumps and such... I know the new fox pads have a strap around the bicep now, I may get those..... BUT, are there any other suggestions out here of some great elbow pads, with plastic cups that actually stay in place!!!?
I saw the 661's and they seem to pretty good, bulky, but look pretty good. thanks...

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I have tried a few different ones (not the 661's though), and have been very happy with a newer set of Fox elbow pads. I keep the straps as loose as possible, as the elastic mesh netting also helps keep them in place. Great protection, and they stay in put.

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
I have the 661 DJ elbow pads, they are awesome. You're right about being bulky, but it's because there is so much padding. I've tested them once allready, and I landed right on my elbow and hip. My elbow didn't even feel the impact. My hip/thigh didn't fair so good...

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
I have a pair of Thor elbow guards for about 4 yrs now. The elastic is still good and I have never had a problem with them slipping.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
The new Thor Quadrant ones are fairly cheap but seem pretty nice. They have a full soft elastic sleeve that you slide your arm into then just 1 securing strap. I ordered an adult sized pair after my big crash 2 months ago but they were too big so I gave em away. Might order up the kids ones next and give em a try.

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
I was at the shop last nite and tried on the 661 dj pads again... Nikki, they also has the Thor Quadrant pads as well.. they are pretty good too, I'm pretty confused now.. The Quadrant is $15 cheaper but has no where near the protection as the 661.. Actually, the wording on the Quadrant was " to protect you from slapping branches and twigs?"""..it does have the plastic shell and is definately slim line.. I just dont know how much protection it would actually give in a hard crash, where as the 661's are loaded all around.. I guess I will think about it... Thanks for the tips though!

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
I'll let you know how my new ones work - more for the extreme bush bashers and crashers.

Click here and then scroll down to BL - 200

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
yeah, those pads no doubt offer the most protection, looks like you will be wearing a suit of armor.. :)
How much do they run? gotta be pretty expensive..

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Can you get a sleeve over those things Kiwi? Looks to be max protection.
I'm leaning towards the 661 pressure suit.

mylesc

~SPONSOR~
Apr 24, 2002
I tried on the 661's and Fox elbow guards but they all seemed too tight. I finally found these Fox 911 elbow guards meant for downhill mountain bikers and really like them. They have three velcro straps and don't slip or rotate on my arm. I got them at Frankford bikes.

http://merchant.cboss.com/ProductDetail.asp?ID=00149QQPCFWCKFKKGSDSVQRMPETNBLFGROGIGRPMKOIPHERBSV&CategoryID=4618&ProductID=24762

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
The Casel Equis get a 7/10 for protection - coverage is pretty good but the elbow guard is a "brush scoop" that picks up all the leaves from scrub as I run through it.

The strap closest to the elbow is a bit short and gives me arm pump.

It's tight under a jersey and won't fit under my Sahara jersey but I was thinking I would ride with a T shirt anyway as the sleeves are full coverage.

Overall I would not recommend them, nicely made but lacking in design.

The Fox 911 are what I use now but they don't cover down far enough for my use as feelers in the trees.

Here's the next ones I'm going to try -

Click here and select Arm Protection

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by zcookie49
and the pads slide down to my wrists when landing jumps and such... any other suggestions out here of some great elbow pads, with plastic cups that actually stay in place!!!?
[/B]

zcookie49.

I use the Fox elbow guards also and have found a little trick to keep them where they belong. Take a couple of nylon ties and attach them to the shoulder guards on your chest protector. You may have to drill a couple small holes in the top of the guards to lace the nylon ties through, but this keeps them in place and by doing this you can leave the forearm straps loose. (No armpump).

Another little trick.

When riding in the wood's. Ride right behind Kiwi. He will clear most of the rocks, boulders, small trees and animals out of the way for you. :scream: :laugh:

Good luck. :thumb:

Ol'89r

altagirl

~SPONSOR~
Mar 17, 2003
I have the Fox 911 elbow guards, (the ones with the 3 neoprene velcro straps) which worked really well - I never had them slide around on me, but I don't use them anymore now that I have the Azonic Z-5 body armor jacket. http://azonicusa.com/a-body_armor.html

All the guys I ride with also have the new Fox 911 elbow guards, and I've never heard any complaints about them. They do run a little small though, which is only an issue if you're mail ordering them.

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
Has anyone tried out THESE ?

They look like they shouldn't move around much and no straps to create pressure points to cause arm pump.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Those look more like guards for mountain bike riding. Considering that your elbows could take the brunt of the impact (against rocks, trees, gravel), I'd want something more protective.

I like the Fox Extreme guards, although I don't know if the current model is as good as the ones I bought last year. I hope so, because that's what I'd get again.

BTW, the light gray sections are HARD plastic on the outside, with soft foam padding on the inside.

Attachments

• foxextremeelbowguards.jpg
    foxextremeelbowguards.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 97

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Originally posted by Green Horn
I have a pair of Thor elbow guards for about 4 yrs now. The elastic is still good and I have never had a problem with them slipping.

Me too.  Thor guards for about 3 years.  Still good as new, a little smellier than when they were new, but no problems.  They stay put.  Elastic is good.  I wear them under my jersey sleeves, and that keeps them from moving around too.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom