Staley8

Jan 29, 2001
I have a 1985 XR250 (with some mods), so as you can see I didn't spend a whole lot of money on it. Anyway I don't want to go spending a forture for gear b/c I don't ride that terrible often, however I want to protect my head, knees, and elbows. I was searching around on ebay and found a lot of street hockey gear. For example Franklin elbow pads (they wrap around you elbow and a little forearm and bicep for around 5 bucks for the pair. They also make knee pads that look pretty basic. Well since I don't play on ever falling off of my bike (ya right) does anyone know if this stuff will protect me, or should I just spring for Fox, Thor, etc gear? Maybe I should buy them and then go do some elbow drops on a rock and see if they are any good....anyway opinions anyone?

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Yes it will work fine as long as they have decent padding and a hard outer surface. I use skakeboard knee and elbow pads. I actually like the skateboard knee pads because they do not go down into my boots.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Any protection is better than none.

I use roller blade knee-cups that I bought at a sporting goods store. Very sturdy and thick plastic cups, comfortable, cost about $10 on sale, been using them for years. Just as good or better than the $25 - $50 motorcycle ones. You do want some sort of plastic cup over your knee cap, not just a pad, IMO.

Many people don't wear elbow & forearm pads because they are can be uncomfortable or hard to get used to, but at $5 it's worth a try.

If it makes you feel better, many of the riders in the '70's used chest and mouth protectors made by Jofa, a European hockey equipment maker.

raykx

Jun 26, 2001
Iuse the thor elbow and knee guards. But I think the fox knee guards are much better quality around $20 bucks. Check them out..:confused:

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
The Fox elbow protectors are the best I've found, but even they tend to slip down a bit. You can either put a couple lines of silicone on the inside straps, or do what I did and zip-tie them to your shoulder pads. I left enough slack for comfort, and they never slip down to my wrists anymore.

Thor's knee pads are cheap and offer more protection than almost anything else. We've used a lot of them. When they crack, they're inexpensive to replace.

You're way ahead to wear all the protection you can. The expense won't seem so great when you avoid an injury that could have cost you a week or two of work.

Top Bottom