Aug 26, 2006
Most trail bikes are now coming with electric start rather then kick start, and I was just wondering wouldn't the kick be more reliable over time? With electric start wouldn't that just be more problems and more things to go wrong? Has anyone experienced any problems with it? I just bought a new TTR 230 and would have prefered a kick start.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Gold Pants Girl said:
wouldn't the kick be more reliable over time? With electric start wouldn't that just be more problems and more things to go wrong? .

Gold Pants Girl.

You are correct, there are more things to go wrong. Also, more weight and the problems with dealing with a battery.

But, it is a trade-off. When you find yourself with a dead engine on the side of a off-camber hill/trail with your kick starter on the up-side of the hill, that little magic button will come in very handy. :cool:

There are many situations like this where you either can't get your foot on the kick start lever or you are just too tired to kick the damn thing. It's all a trade-off.

Just my $ .02

Britt Boyette

Aug 16, 2004
There are times when it would be nice to have the "Happy Button". I don't like the extra weight and I've gone so long without one that I don't really think about it much. If I did have a bike that had electric start, I would also want the kickstarter too as a backup.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom