125 rider

Sponsoring Member
Oct 1, 2000
A friend of mine has an e-start XR thats been having problems. First, it stopped running on him. It wasnt getting consistant spark. He brang it to me, and i switched ignition coils from a similar model, and the spark was great again. That solved one problem, but heres the other: Once this thing has been run for a while and gets hot, it doesnt want to run anymore. This has been happening for a while now. If you ride it for 15 minutes, shut it off, and go to start it back up, it wont start. I've been told this is also an ignition problem, but it cant be the coil since ive already replaced it. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
125 rider.

Check the pick-up coil. It is the little square coil on the inside of the right side engine case.

Heat will affect them over time and the insulation that they are coated with will crack and allow oil inside. If the spark goes away when the engine is hot, this may be your problem.

Just my $ .02

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
electrical is tough, get a manual and test EVERYTHING possible. My friend was having electrical problems and did not test the parts, just started slapping stuff on. 200$ later he found out it was his spark plug boot :)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom