eline pipe guard

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
anyone have an eline carbon/kevlar pipe guard on an 89 with an fmf fatty and is it worth the 114 buck? thanks

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Got one on my CR.  It's a nice item, but I would be reluctant to spend 10% of the value of a bike on a pipe guard.  That money is better spent on other items like a steering damper or suspension work. Or save the $ to go toward a newer bike someday.

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
There's a big difference between spending $100 on preventative maintenance and buying a new $6k bike. Try www.mxdeals.com. Got mine for $103. Already paid for itself.

Tennessee Thumper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 23, 2000
The one I had on my 300 was a big waste of money. :silly:

Just get the dents removed.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
I was going to put one on my KX, but I crashed before I had a chance. I hit so hard that the pipe was twisted/kinked at the inlet (near the engine). The pipe guard wouldn't have helped in my case - it would have made the kinking worse (even less power) and I would have been out the cost of both the guard and the pipe. :eek:

It think it would have helped in the case of "normal" dents, but the guard is pretty pricey. I'm still on the fence regarding this issue........ :confused:

Last edited:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by SpectraSVT
There's a big difference between spending $100 on preventative maintenance and buying a new $6k bike.

True.  You can get a lot of protective armor for what a new bike costs.  But you can also spend too much trying to make a $1,000, 15 year old bike as good as a $3,000 two or three year old bike.  

IMO, improved suspension and steering dampers are also protective equipment, for your bike and your body.  Less crashing = less repairs + more fun. 

For $150+- he can get Race Tech cartridge fork emulators for his '89 KDX.  From personal experience (I had a '90 and my buddy had an '89) I can tell you that this is money very well spent.  Improving the forks makes a HUGE difference on an older KDX.   Or if he puts the money toward a steering damper, he can transfer that to a new bike someday.

Also, on the KDX, the stock chain guide is a weak link and can easily be bent by rocks or roots, locking up the wheel.  I have seen this happen on 3 occassions, and once is was a major hassle.  For the cost of an eline guard, you can get a regular pipe guard and and FRP chain guide for the KDX.

Last edited:

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
The value of the bike doesn't change the cost of replacing pipes or shipping them off to have dents removed.

My Eline has more than paid for itself.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…