mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
Sorry to post a second thread somewhat related to my other, but..........

I need to order from service honda soon.

At 200lb. riding on VERY rocky, rooty terrain, do I need the .38 or the . 40 XR springs.

Are they the same length?

I would rather be a tick soft that a tad stiff, as I don't need to feel every root I come accross.

Thanks for the quick help.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Anyone guessing a rate to fit someone else is just that.....a guess, right?

My guess is the .40. I'd guess .42 if Honda made that spring for that bike, but I don't think that is the case.

You might ask your parts guy? Like you can buy different rate springs from Kawi for Kawi, maybe you can buy different Honda springs for the XR?

The length will be what it is. Different riders have gotten different length springs when they are for the same application. Don't know the whys of that. My springs (from Honda via MX-Tech) are 532mm.

re: feel every root.

That's kind of the point of these springs. They can be stiff enough to do the job, but because the are so much longer than the oem springs they are more linear, so the little stuff is something you don't feel at all.

Well, there's the plus of taking out those stupid (Dumb! Moronic, even!) oem spacers that get you something like 35mm preload.

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
Get the .40kg springs.........................but if it were me I'd get the Fredette .39's I tried both...........liked the Fredette better.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
mnnt: If you've gotten kay-dee-x'rd-eyed looking through XR spring posts, you know that Ronnie is out standing in his field as the only one (I think) that didn't like the longer XR springs.

But then, his bike won't go 80mph either, so.....Consider the source. :think:
Thass'a joke son!!

Just consider that not everyone likes the XR springs. And some folks think the radvalve is cool, too! ;)

It's a good thing I'm not opinionated, 'eh?

Cheers!

mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
I ordered the .40's. Thanks for your help. I plan to start with small amount of pre-load (5mm-ish). I assume the less pre-load, the softer the initial fork action is???????

I also plan to use the Mobil 1 ATF, but am unsure the level to start with... any ballpark starting points, or oil level theories???

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Yep. 115mm.

5mm preload (not the spacer size, but the preload, right?) will do. You may have to drop one of the oem washers on top to get that low depending on the spring length you start with.

Sorry if you've done this before.....but don't overlook the clipped on spring seat that SHOULD come out on the bottom of the old springs. Put them on the new springs. They may not be there if someone else has been into the forks already. I don't recall you saying if this is a first change for you or not.

Please do consider a set of MotionPro bleeders! They are a great asset for keeping your suspension 'the same' as a day's ride progresses.

Top Bottom