Ricky

Jan 12, 2000
We went out shopping for a trailer. We looked at three different brands, different sizes and styles. I need to haul 2 full size bikes and 2 smaller ones. We ended up deciding on a 6x16 v-nose (6x14 box size), single axle with 6" extra height.(the standard door is 5'6"and I'm 5'10" so I know I'd crack my head sooner or later.) We called a dealership to haggle over a price and order the trailer. The salesman said this: 1) This size is too big for a single axle. 2) The v-nose doesn't give you much extra room and provides a negligible difference in wind resistance. 3)The 6" added height increases the unladen weight by 150# and wind resistance significantly. The gvrw is about 2990 and the unladen wt w xtra ht is about 1945 so this leaves a payload of 1045. 4 bikes plus gear, chairs, tools etc.. We are maxed out. A tandem axle increases cost by close to 25% and is overkill for our purposes @ 7000# gvrw. Can anyone provide any insight? Is this trailer too long for a single axle? Why do they make it? Anyone have any experience with trailers? I am really not sure which way to go!!!:silly:

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Get the 7 foot wide box, with no wheel wells inside. You'll be able to angle the bikes in and can get away with a shorter trailer. I can carry 5 full size bikes in a 7x14, and I have a workbench across the front, otherwise I could've got six big bikes in.

I'm surprised that the v-nose doesn't do anything for wind resistance. The other option is a flat front with the bubble shaped fiberglas nose-cone.

Tandems haul very nicely. I know it drives up the cost, but the increase in GVWR and stability, plus if you have a flat on one tire, you can make it to the next exit.

Get the height. I've hit my head and it hurts. :eek:

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i've never heard of a 16 foot, single axle trailer. i thought i was stretching it getting a 12 foot single axle. get the tandem. get the extra height. the one thing that the salesman told me that is without a doubt true was "no one's ever brought one back because it was too big".

Ricky

Jan 12, 2000
Thanks for the reply guys, you are right, we decided to get the 7x16 v tandem. It's acually comparable to 7x14 with the extra length in the v extended over the part of the tongue. Thanks for the tip KX 747, I didn't even think about angling the bikes in. That is a great idea. I plan on installing bike shoes so that I don't have a tangle of tie-downs going every which way.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
I put in both the bike shoes and tie-down rings. The bike shoes don't hold anything smaller than a big-wheel 80/100, so you'll need rings for 80's and below.

I also mounted a piece of angle iron vertically on the wall, midway between the tie downs. This gives the tire something to brace against since the tire is at a slight angle.

I put the shoes/tie downs along the left side and mounted cabiinets above them. Just make sure the cabinets aren't too tall or they will interfere with the fenders of the bikes.

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Good choice, Ricky. You don't want to be anywhere close to maxed. Like most of us, you'll probably be dragging the trailer around some pretty bad roads on occasion and a maxed trailer would be a much bigger concern.

Our first enclosed trailer was a 7x14 (17 with the V) dbl axle and it was a great size. However, we installed our spare sleeper sofa in there and it got pretty small. We now have a 8.5x16(19.5 with the V). I've never dragged around a flat nose but I'd have to believe it'd affect mileage at least a bit. The flat nose trailers are easier to build a workbench into the front.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
2990GVW with an unladen weight of 1945. This seems to be a waste of a trailer. Be glad you did not buy that.

I have an inner box size of 12.5' X 6', GVW 2990, unladen weight of 1290. That leaves 1700 lbs. Head room is 6'4". This is fine for up to 4 bikes, complete tool chest, trailer spare, gear bags, air tank, chairs, generator (in winter), gas containers, tire changer, and every spare anything I can think of pre-race.

Ricky

Jan 12, 2000
OK guys I'm going down this morning to lay down a deposit on a 7x16 Interstate v-nose tandem. It was a bit pricier than what I really wanted to spend but better safe than sorry. Strick, thanks for the pm, I contacted trailers plus, he quoted a good price but only a few hundred less than I can get it in San Jose. Not worth the 10 hr round trip. I really shopped it around and every one was really close (I think they stick pretty tight to MSRP). Thanks for all the helpful information:D

Top Bottom