ChuckyBoy

~SPONSOR~
May 2, 2002
For those who have installed the EE handguards,

...how painless was drilling into the guard to mount the shield? Also, do the sheild mount screws strip out easily?

I'm thinking on going with some EE handguards but before I purchase them I'd like to have an idea about the installation hassle (if any) as well as how well the plastic sheilds stay affixed to the guard (stripped out screws?)

In advance, thanks for your help.

Chuck

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I'll chime in here.
1. Get some tape and put it on your drill bit to keep you from going all the way through the guard but deep enough to take all the screw. Measure how deep you want the hole and tape the drill bit at that point. When you drill the hole stop at the tape.
2. Use a screwdriver and not a power tool to install screws and you will feel when the screw is tight - no stripping.

They are easy to install. Don't tighten up anything until you have all the theads started and the hand guards postioned where you want them - then crank them down.

Last edited:

McRider

Jan 25, 2000
I'll answer the second part of your question: I have used the same EE hand guards on two bikes and the shields are still going strong. They are flexible enough so that they bend and don't break or bust the screw holes out.

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
And I'll chime in after Fred T and McRider, everything they have said already is right on the money. I have Moose guards with FRP shields installed on them. Did them exactly the way Fred T described. Works everytime. Good luck.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I'll throw my 2 cents in also. I drilled all the way through, didn't see any reason to go to the trouble of trying to stop. The drill bit supplied with both sets I put on was a bit small (opinion), it took supreme acts of hand strength and cramps to put the screws in. BigLou was there and put in 3-4 screws and will attest to this. When I did the second set I used a cordless drill and went slow to make sure they didn't strip. No loose or stripped screws yet, guards are in good shape (except for lots of scratches).

Very nice quality, fit, finish etc.

FYI the with the smallish hole, I would think you'd be hard pressed to 'accidentally' strip one out during installation.

Last edited:

ChuckyBoy

~SPONSOR~
May 2, 2002
Thanks for everyone's advice. I figured that there wouldn't be any serious "issues" with the EE's but thought I'd ask anyway. I wanted to be safe rather than sorry. Trust me, I've screwed up my share of things so I'm a little gun shy. Something about drilling into a brand new, perfectly good piece of metal just sounds counter-intuitive to me.

I've also stripped out more than my share of threads. I'm glad to hear that no one has had the problem with the shields. I thought that since the guard was aluminum it would be relatively easy to goober.

Again, thanks for the advice and insight. Its' well heeded (is heeded a word?)

Later,
Chuck

Top Bottom