YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
All right all you people in the know. Whats the hot setup for these bikes.

My 08 has the Neken fat bars on it. I got a set of Enduro engineering handguards with the bike (not installed) but the center bar mounts dont fit. Im assuming that they are for a pro-taper and not the neken bars.

Well I have a few questions. Im looking at 3 differant options for handguards

1st would be the EE guards with new bar mounts

2nd would be the Cycra CRS handguard system.

3rd is the fastway system with damper mount.

well here is my 1st question. I cant use the stock style EE bar mount as the hydraulic clutch line is in the way. I see that EE offers the Evolution bar mount. It looks like that mount would clear the hydraulic line easy enough. Will that bar mount work with my older style EE guards or do I need the evolution guards to go with the mounts?

I see that EE offers a hydraulic clutch line that has an adjustable fitting at the lever to help it clear the handguards. Anyone use that/recomend that?

I really like the Cycra system as the center handguard mounts are located right next to the bar mounts. Looks strong with plenty of clearance for cables/ clutch line. I have the Cycras on my Honda and love them.

The Fastway system looks awsome. Hands down. Its a lot of $ but looks like it will work great. I hear that the shields suck as my friend Cmore has this setup on his new bike and already broke a shield. Ive put my Honda thru hell and my Cycra shields are still fine. I head that fastway is made by cycra so maybe geting the fastway system with the Cycra shields is the way to go.

Getting the EE evolution mounts would be the cheapest way to go.

The Cycra CRS would be 2nd.

And the Fastway is the most expensive.

I cant really figure out which way I want to go. I will probably get a damper on this bike at some point. Probably not till next spring though.

Oh and I also want to cut the bars down. 32" is too wide. I ran 29" bars on my Honda and loved it. I dont know if Ill go that narrow on this one. Maybe 30". How does any of these systems work with cut down bars? On my Cycras I just had to drill another hole.

So anyways there is my dilema. Really its just the clutch line running right next to the bar that causes the issues as it runs right next to where the bracket has to go. The Cycra and fastway system will clear it wasy but are $$. The EE evolution bar mount looks like it would clear also. Or do i need that EE clutch line to give me more adjustablity?

Anyways...There it is...Anybody

Oh I finially rode it this morning and it is fricking awesome! I am in love. Bike is just effortless to ride. The 2-stroke buzzing in the bars and pegs takes a little getting used to but other than that its sweet!

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
#1. Yes, the evolution bar mounts will fit. If you get those you shluld be fine. That is why they made them that way. I assume you must have the "old style" EE hand guards that are straight? When cutting down the bars remember that once it's gone, you can't put it back on. Unless you are riding "event type" singletrack I'd keep them as wide as possible as that 3 hunny gets real powerful at the end of a long day. Cut 1/2 inch off each end and try that first-JMHO.

The stock clutch line should be just fine really.

The N3CH needle in #3 is the hot ticket for that bike with 35 pilot and 165 main jet.

Be real careful when puttting the air filter in, it is tricky to get sealed properly.

Peace

FT

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Thanks for the intel Fred.

Yes I have the origional EE guards not the newer style. Sounds like the Evolution mounts are going to be the way to go.

Im heading outside shortly to clean the air filter and change the oil. Thanks for the tip on the filter. Ill keep my eye on that.

Ive been reading on the jetting and that needle seems to be the hot setup. It seems to run real strong right now but there is always room for improvement. Ill have to look into that. Maybe see if EE has that when I order the mounts.

Its funny. Im not generaly real picky about my suspension and jetting settings. Im more of an adjust to the bike vs adjust the bike to me kinda rider.

Well today it was steering kinda twitchy in the deep sand. I added 1/6 turn of preload to the forks (on the recomendation of the seller) and it totaly cured it. I was amazed that such a little adjustment made such a differance. I actually went 2/6 of a turn at 1st (thinking that I wouldn't notice 1/6 of a turn) but soon found out that it didn't want to turn so i backed it out a little and it handled perfect. Amazing.

Loving this bike. What the heck took me so long to go back to a 2-stroke.

TJC510

Mi. Trail Riders
Oct 22, 2006
Don, i have the fastway damper mount system on my 500, it is a very clean way to do both. the only issue i had is i cut my bars down to 30.5 and the bars are made to fit a 31.5 bar. all i did was snug the bar end, hit it with a hammer to get it to fit tight against the bar and tighten her up. i haven't had a problem with it sliding out, i tryed the same thing with my EE guards on my KTM, and they keep sliding out. it might be that the EE guard is more rigid. they both use the same taper lock in the bar. i had to drill a hole in the EE guard to get it to fit right.

i have not had a problem with my fastway shields, i did here they were having problems with them breaking especially in cold, but revised the molding process and shouldn't have a problem. i have bent mine backwards and it just shows the normal whitening. i also talked with fastway, they make all their stuff, but give cycra the rights to the probend. but it does look like the cycra shields would fit, the fastways are only missing one hole for the shield to mount.

the evolution mounts clear everything just fine.

TCTrailrider

Jan 19, 2004
I've run EE BB's on all my KTM's. I like the Evolution better than the old style, but either work fine with the stock clutch and brake lines. If you cut your bars you will probably need to storten the BB and drill a new hole. Some expanding foam from the Hardware store in the handlebars helps with the vibration. I run Pro Taper mini woods high bars filled with foam the vibration is gone. Have fun and be careful, the 300 is a great bike.

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
I went ahead and bought the evolution mounts. I think I am going to order some diff bar end inserts localy though. Babbits can get me some of those inserts that you tap the end of the bar and insert a threaded insert into the end of the bar then screw your handguard to that. Aint no way your pulling that out.

SNDMN2

Jul 18, 2003
Gee. Do you think Cmore may have hit something or layed his bike down last week while marking? Get it ready for Evart next Sat. Buzz me if you need busters. His guards are pretty beefy though.

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
I should be good to go on Busters. EE should have my mounts here next week seeing as they are just down the road. No worries. Ill see what I can do about next weekend. You going to be at the cabin? Is that the weekend you were planning on?

Hey Lincoln Hills trail maintance weekend I am going to try to get some peeps up to our cabin to camp that weekend if your interested.

SNDMN2

Jul 18, 2003
I"ll be there next Thuresday night. Working around the place most of Friday. Gotta cut grass and cut up some trees that blew down a few weeks back. Possable dish install also. My neighbor gave me his old one. Stcking my wr290 motor in Richards yzf just for giggles.Anybody is welcome.

Which weekend is Lincoln Hills?

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Wife tried me to play that stupid ball wacking game last week. Hell no. I gots bike maintance to do. Ya know Important stuff!

cmore

Jan 23, 2003
Don, rode this past saturday, did the Boon thing. I think I will have set of fastway gaurds forsale. broke both plastic guards. You know had the the cycra on the YZ for what 6 years & there just cracked. I like the fast way mounting but the PLASTIC SUCK. Sandman you guys riding this weekend. the 9th. I'm in Milwaukee on work. hope to be back before the weekend.

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Ya know the CYCRA shields will bolt right onto the fastway guards. At least thats what Ive heard.

Took today off. Rode Cedar this morning and home by 8am. Waited out a rain delay till 10:30am then headed out to Bridgeton with topper, and friends for an afternoon of flogging the new toy. All I can say is I am amazed at the amount of torque on this bike. All those rooty nasty hillclimbs..It just tractors right up them Too cool.

I ran it out of gas today also. Flogging it on the MX track on the pipe really sucks the gas down.

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Figures. I get my EE evolution mounts last night and go to mount it all up. And now the bar end inserts wont tighten up on the bar. They are the taper cut inserts and I can crank them all the way down and the slide right out of the bar.

Good thing I already ordered some threaded bar end inserts that you just bolt the handguard to. You tap the end of the handlebar and screw the insert into the bar then bolt the handguard to the insert. Should be way more secure.

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Oh and I scored big time last night. Won a slightly used front Trelly winter friction tire for $46 off Evil-Bay last night

SNDMN2

Jul 18, 2003
cmore said:
Sandman you guys riding this weekend. the 9th. I'm in Milwaukee on work. hope to be back before the weekend.

I"m game. I"ll be at our place Fri-Sun. Lincoln,Evart,Caberfee, L.Lake,whatever.

TJC510

Mi. Trail Riders
Oct 22, 2006
YZMAN400 said:
Figures. I get my EE evolution mounts last night and go to mount it all up. And now the bar end inserts wont tighten up on the bar. They are the taper cut inserts and I can crank them all the way down and the slide right out of the bar.

Good thing I already ordered some threaded bar end inserts that you just bolt the handguard to. You tap the end of the handlebar and screw the insert into the bar then bolt the handguard to the insert. Should be way more secure.

i plan on making a bunch of these out of 6061 aluminum. just need to find some time to play on the lathe. should be alot stronger than the nylon ones made by G2 ergo.

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
TJC510 said:
i plan on making a bunch of these out of 6061 aluminum. just need to find some time to play on the lathe. should be alot stronger than the nylon ones made by G2 ergo.

Im pretty sure that the Nylon ones are what I am getting. My buddy at Babbits is ordering them for me. Im sure they will work fine.

These are the ones I would of liked to get but wasnt going to spring for them + shipping for something I can probably get at reid tool

http://www.brpmoto.com/product_info...d=422&osCsid=65abe0df34ca871fa737e1c87d252386

Wolf Child

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 30, 2005
Top Bottom