FLEM

Sep 22, 2004
I know there was a thread about this a couple of weeks ago.

but,,,
I'm also considering some sort of return to competion, I raced hare scrambles up til 96' . I'm not real familar with the enduro format, what is the distance raced?(or timed) compared w/ a hare scramble, terrain and speed.
I always trailrode since I stopped racing but this year I'll be able to ride during the week and get enough seat time to be presentable racing.
A comparison between H/S and enduro would be great.

FLEM

Sep 22, 2004
I've been to the d 14 web site several times but the site does't give a specifics on distances or times. What is the average enduro time 1-2-3-4 hours. the H/S were 2's and 3's

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
An enduro can be anywhere from around 4 hours, to... well, an eternity in hell. If you're still riding after 6-7 hours, you're either lost, houred out, or both. Also depends on your class. Typically the 'A' guys ride a longer, harder loop in addition to what everyone else rides.

For a national enduro, 'A' guys must ride a minimum of 85 ground miles. Most D-14 enduros are around 80 miles. Marquette was around 65-70 ground miles for mere mortals (B-C), but these were hard miles. The Jack Pine was right around 100 miles, but there were a lot of fast, wide trails.

Each enduro seems to have their own character, and it's the variety in each of the events that make it fun. You will NOT be going round-and-round over the same loop. :cool:

FLEM

Sep 22, 2004
I found some good stuff on the D36 website, got some questions on the free times, and gas stops.
how may gas stops are there?, are the free times actual rests, or just areas to let people catch up to their time? do you need a pit crew to race?

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Check the AMA rules. The new ones should be in the next issue or two. One rule that is not written and you don't want to gorget is to simply ride and have fun.

The answer to a question a while back is - Michigan Motorized Recreation Coalition.

Young Ted

bbarel

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 13, 2003
GAS STOPS are usually not more than 40 miles and there are usually 2 or 3.

PIT CREW is a good idea if you can bring somebody to run your gas to the gas stops, or try to arrange with somebody ahead of time who you know who is going to run your gas for you. Otherwise get there early on Saturday and ask around until you find somebody that will. You can always find somebody who will help you out.

HS VS ENDURO - Besides a HS runs you around the same course a few times and Enduros usually never run the same section of trail twice, Enduros start only 4-5 riders every minute for 60 minutes instead of a massive mx style start.

FREE TIME/TERRITORY - is a period of time/section while you are still 'racing', but there will not be any checks during this section of the race. The will do this on road sections, so then you know you have X miles to get back on time, withoutt checks, so you don't need to go 90mph fearing for a check if you are behind.

RESETS - Give you time back to get back on time, and at gas stops to allow you time to get gas, refill camelak, take a whiz, eat someting. They are usually just enough time to take care of your business and get going again so you are back on time.

Rider skills range from ultra fast AA/national guys to some real slow pokes. EVERYBODY is welcome, just go at your own pace and let the faster guys by as soon as you have a chance to get safely out of their way. Sounds like an Enduro is just what you need!

FLEM

Sep 22, 2004
right now I'm dyin to ride, but I'm in home improvement jail, (all weekends working on the house) trying to finish all the stuff I've put off, so we can have a fully finished house for like 4-weeks and then move to the new place.
I'm , trying to find out as much about Enduro before spring

a couple more questions:
if you 've go five guys on your minute isn't somebody going to get shafted at the checks if you bunch up.
I'm kinda unclear if your actually able to make up time, or is it once your late its always late, an additive thing.

bbarel

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 13, 2003
FLEM said:
if you 've go five guys on your minute isn't somebody going to get shafted at the checks if you bunch up?
You will figure out the 'pecking order' for your line quickly enough. You are almost always running late so you will come into checks at different times based on how fast you are. Only exception is when the throw in a check on a fast 2-track to catch the cheaters who are running early (hint: JackPine is famous for doing that). Even then it is not a big deal since you are only talking seconds, and when a group comes in together the checkers do their best to give you the time you arrived.
FLEM said:
I'm kinda unclear if your actually able to make up time, or is it once your late its always late, an additive thing.
They usually give you enough RESETs to get back on time. You can also make up time on road sections. If you get WAY behind, then yeah, it could start stacking up, but everybody is in the same situation.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
If a group of riders (in reality this typically means 3-5) comes into a check at the same time, check workers will fan out a little and yell for the riders to align in parallel so they can get all the time cards marked without holding anybody up. Unless it's an Emergency Check (where they mark minutes AND seconds), you're really only concerned with the minute marked, and the check workers will make note of the minute they need to mark as soon as you arrive. At least in my case, the guys on my minute are looonnggg gone, and I don't see them again until the finish!

You're really competing against yourself, the course, and the wits of the club members that organized the event.

.... And the really nice checks will have Brats cooking on the grill for ya!

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
um.......

Smit-Dog said:
.... And the really nice checks will have Brats cooking on the grill for ya!

Ya, gee thats what I want after a 30 mile "hero"section when I'm dehydrated and exhausted--burp. Should make that next 6 mile section go real well especailly if they are the spicy ones. :moon:

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Fred T said:
Should make that next 6 mile section go real well especailly if they are the spicy ones. :moon:

Ahhh, the smell of R-50 combined with spicy brat gas re-lived!

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
MWEISSEN said:
Ahhh, the smell of R-50 combined with spicy brat gas re-lived!
Always meant to ask.... Did you ever open that jar, and if so, was that wonderous Klotz bouquet still lingering?

barkbuster67

Nov 6, 2002
FredT, so I need to install a grill for the spicy brats and a toilet paper dispenser :uh: for this new section that I'll be working on in Spring? I'll just add it to the list, not sure what number these requests will be.

1. Major rock drop offfffffff
2. Tall log crossing
3. Steep downhill section
4. Steep uphill section
5 More log crossings
6. Pipe repair shop
7. Rest stop
8. Minor drop off
9. Tall log crossing going up hill :aj:
10. Small bridge for big mud hole.
11. Senic resting bench after first mile.................
You'll be in there around the 20's by looking down the list.
I recommend bringing along any extra plastic body parts. If you don't need them when your done, you should be able to sell them to someone else :eek:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
barkbuster67 said:
FredT, so I need to install a grill for the spicy brats and a toilet paper dispenser :uh: for this new section that I'll be working on in Spring? I'll just add it to the list, not sure what number these requests will be.

1. Major rock drop offfffffff
2. Tall log crossing
3. Steep downhill section
4. Steep uphill section
5 More log crossings
6. Pipe repair shop
7. Rest stop
8. Minor drop off
9. Tall log crossing going up hill :aj:
10. Small bridge for big mud hole.
11. Senic resting bench after first mile.................
You'll be in there around the 20's by looking down the list.
I recommend bringing along any extra plastic body parts. If you don't need them when your done, you should be able to sell them to someone else :eek:

Walt, just don't hurt your self with that stapler hanging up arrows. I suggest poster putty if you godda hang 'em on the rocks. Get yer self plenty of orange paint for arrows where no dirt can be seen and draw a few funny pictures too so I got something to do while tooling around on your hero section. I'll be sure to pick up any GasGas parts I see on the trail when I pull over to get back on time, I hate HOT points. :moon:

barkbuster67

Nov 6, 2002
I'll be using dat dar orange paint to draw the outline of you laying on the ground with your tongue hanging out before that first rest stop at mile 1!!! And since you stopped and had a spicy brat, I'll know just where to stick that poster putty :nener:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
oh yeah...

buffmaster said:
Ok, now I KNOW I've got to do some enduro's......

Hey, Roselawn II runs through a nudist camp!

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Smit-Dog said:
Always meant to ask.... Did you ever open that jar, and if so, was that wonderous Klotz bouquet still lingering?

No! I'm saving that smell! I'm just keeping that jar on my desk to remind me of riding.

It IS Klotz in there, right? Not some :uh: , right?

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Oh, it's R-50 alright. It was smoky, then either settled or slowly leaked out. Let me know if you ever decide to "uncork" it!

Top Bottom