D_Moen

May 7, 2007
Hi all,

After a 5 year hiatus from dirt bikes, I'm back at it! My last bush bike was a fire-breathing XR600. Young kids and a growing business meant that I didn't have time to devote to off-roading so it got sold. I've still been riding street, as I have for the past 25 years, my current street ride is a "dirt poseur" - BMW R1200GS.

Last week I stumbled across a really good deal on a 1999 KDX220, so I brought it home. My kids are making noise about starting to ride, so I thought it was a good re-entry bike for me, and something that the kids (12 and 15) could grow into in the not to distant future. The bilke is super-clean, has an FMF "Gnarly" pipe and FMF silencer. Unlike my 600, this thing starts if you just look at it the right way! Nice! I haven't even ridden the bike yet, and this is my first 2 stroke bike so I may be off in left field, but the engine seems quite noisy to me. At idle there is alot of noise coming from the engine. The noise changes slicghtly when I pull in the clutch, but it seems awfully rattley to me. What sorts of noises are normal with these engines? I can take the bike back to the shop where I got it, they are upstanding folks, and thier service writer is a long-time KDX guru and journeyman M/C mechanic too, but they are closed Mondays and I was hoping to go for a ride this afternoon!

Thanks for your input!

David Moen
Salmon Arm, B.C.

crhines

Aug 27, 2006
It all sounds normal. I also have 99' KDX220 - if you fill the transmission with about a full quart of oil the noise is a bit less, but they tend to make a rattle noise at idle when the clutch is not engaged. You will find many other posts on this.

if the carb is stock consider having the carb bored by RB Designs - it will pull almost like a 250.

heino

Nov 22, 2006
I'll tell you what the dealer told me,"If there's no noise, start worrying". The "knocking" noise you're hearing is from the power valves, and if there's no noise, it means they are stuck or not working properly(like one of my mates found out).

Check out the JustKDX tech page for most of the things you have to look out for.

Kwakasaki

Aug 22, 2004
I have an 04 220 and it has sounded like a sewing machine since day one. I have replaced the piston,rings and pin and still sounds the same. I have put the bike thru evrything I could throw at it and it has never given up. If the people you bought it from are "upstanding" then take their word for it. I did lower mine 2 inches and my 13yr old son is riding it now, you made a good choice.

D_Moen

May 7, 2007
Thanks for the feedback all, I didn't get to ride today so I'll take it back to the shop and have them convince me it isn't the sound of expensive parts beating themselves to death!

Perk

~SPONSOR~
Sep 17, 2001
You have nothing to worry about with that sound. My 93 did it until the day I sold it, and my 02 has done since the day I bought it. It disappears when you put on a helmet and start bouncing off a few trees.

kx200

Feb 1, 2001
I have a 1997 220 that is street legal, it has over 5000 miles and still runs great. :cool: It has always had the KDX rattle, it thinks its part diesel. :coocoo:

ascracer

Oct 21, 2006
My 06 KDX 200 sounds like a marble is rattling around in the topend. Has sounded like that from day 1. After reading the many posts on here about "The Rattle" all of my fears went away. I couldn't ask for a better running well mannered bike. So I guess it can make all the noises it wants.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom