kdx1028

Dec 10, 2002
I just bought a 93 KDX 200. I got what I think was a pretty killer deal ($400). The bike needed to have the water pump seal replaced. It had gone bad and the whole Rt side case and was full of milky oily junk. The previous owner did not ride the bike after he lost the seal. He said that he drained the case and then filled it up with new oil to the top and let it sit cause he didnt feel like messing with it and was pretty much ready to sell the bike. Well I pulled the water pump and clutch case off replaced all the seals and gaskets, put in a new kips valve shaft (because I broke the left threaded screw, lol, pay attention to the manual!!), Put it all back together and kicked it. It started on the second kick. This bike runs great. I love it. (MY FIRST BIKE!) But it seems to have an exessive amount of engine noise. Like, alot of mechanical noises. I put my screw driver up to all the parts and I really cant pin point it. I took it down to the Kawawsaki dealership and let them hear it. They said it was hard to say but kdx's do have noisy engins. I sure hope I could get some input on this so I could get rid of this nagging fear I have of tearing somthing up. Thanks
btw this bike does have a FMF Pipe and silencer and it needs to be rejetted. Would either of those have an effect on the engine noise.

bmonnig

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2002
I'm not sure of your noise, but KDX's are (apparently) known for noisy engines. When I purchased my 2000 KDX, one of my first postings to this site was in regards to the noise from my engine. It was kind of a rattle sound that was very noticeable at idle. As the revs picked up the noise would recede, and at higher revs you can't even hear it. It wasn't "solid" enough to be a rod knock, but it was a definite, noticeable rattle/tap kind of sound.

I was informed this was most likely the KIPS valve, and was a common noise for the bike. So far it's still doing it, and it's running fine a month later.

Brandon

dirtbikedan

Dec 4, 2002
That was one of my first posts as well. I refer to it as a rattle, which concerned me at first, thinking I didn't get such a great deal, but it apparently is a KDX "thing". I haven't noticed any significant problems yet due to this noise, so I'll keep riding it.

kdx1028

Dec 10, 2002
Sounds like it may be a kdx "thing". I just wanted to check with you guys and see if anybody else had heard it. When you get on the throttle you dont even notice it and the bike runs great. The previous owner said it could be getting close to time for new rings but not yet. Other than that the bike seems really sound.

GreenPeace

Dec 6, 2002
Im referring to the krrrrr noise at idle that fades as the revs pick up.
Not to worry about. The KDX I im riding now is my 6th one. All of the others had the same enjin noise. I stripped the previous KDX to the bone. Replaced all the enjin bearings, new piston kit, new conrod kit, renicolle the barrel but the enjin noise lingered on.
Must be a KDX trademark.
PS.. My conclusion is, if a KDX enjine is silent something is wrong.
Enjoy the ride.

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
Using a full quart of synthetic tranny oil seems to quiet things a good bit. My '01 KX500 has the same rattling noise. I had an '84 CR500 that also had this noise. It must not be a problem.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom