Mar 25, 2008
Hi everyone,
I am having some engine noise I cant figure out. My bike is a 2001 Honda CR250 (That I love) and it is making some serious noise internally. This noise goes away when I pull in (disesngage) the clutch and comes back when I engage the clutch in neutral. (I cant tell if it does this in gear because Im moving) "Darringer" wrote a post about this a while back saying that it is the needle bearing and collar inside the clutch basket but I inspected that and it seems fine. Also Im wondering how that could really cause this noise?? The clutch basket is spinning the whole time the engine is running whether the clutch is engaged or not. I did replace the RH Transmission Mainshaft Bearing because it spins most when the clutch is engaged and hardly at all when disengaged because the mainshaft is connected directly to the clutch center. Replacing this bearing did not change anything. I have now ordered a new clutch basket (Because I needed it anyways due to grooving and worn out cushions causing excessive movement between the gear and basket) and I hope this does something for my noise. I know I wrote a book here but Im hoping someone will read all this and gimme some ideas.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
Adrenaline,
With the bike in neutral, all of the clutch and the transmission mainshaft are spinning. When you pull in the clutch, the clutch basket is still spinning, but the innner hub and trans mainshaft stop. When you install your new basket, replace the needle and sleeve no matter what they look or feel like. Honda has no specs for these parts, so unless they are measured against new parts, it will be hard to tell if worn. The noise could also be coming from the two mainshaft bearings. Some minor changes in noise is normal when engaging and disengaging the clutch. I hope you aren't chasing ghosts.

Mar 25, 2008
darringer said:
Adrenaline,
With the bike in neutral, all of the clutch and the transmission mainshaft are spinning. When you pull in the clutch, the clutch basket is still spinning, but the innner hub and trans mainshaft stop. When you install your new basket, replace the needle and sleeve no matter what they look or feel like. Honda has no specs for these parts, so unless they are measured against new parts, it will be hard to tell if worn. The noise could also be coming from the two mainshaft bearings. Some minor changes in noise is normal when engaging and disengaging the clutch. I hope you aren't chasing ghosts.

Darringer please read the email I sent to you and tell me what you think please, Also are you anywhere close to me? Im in Gainesville Fla.

Thanks, Stuart

Top Bottom