akagalford

Jul 1, 2010
Just completed a full engine rebuild of a 2002 KX100, replaced all the bearings, seals, re-bored cylinder etc. For some reason when the bike is shut off, if you put it in gear and grab the clutch the transmission remains engaged (when I try to move the rear tire drags as if I wasn't grabbing the clutch at all.) yet when I start the bike (I have to be in neutral to start it) the clutch acts as it should shifting into all gears perfectly and even into neutral just fine. I have adjusted the clutch cable and even when I grab the clutch lever with my hand and pull it all of the way it won't disengage when turned off.

So the question is, what did I miss? Did I over torque the clutch springs? Did I miss a washer? I was pretty careful through the process but apparently I must have missed something. It doesn't seem like a problem when running and it really doesn't seem like it just needs to be broken in to me. I did use torque wrenches and followed the specs but maybe I miss read something.

As a side note: the engine was completely in pieces when I got it, previous owner had abused and not maintained the bike at all and blew the engine and had it torn apart. I used the online microfiche and a clymer manual to reassemble. Only OEM parts where used in rebuild.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Nothing. Wet clutches don't work well if at all when the engine isn't running. If you need to push the bike with it not running, keep it in neutral.

akagalford

Jul 1, 2010
So is my 1991 KDX200 different somehow? When I grab the clutch on it and I'm in gear it disengages just fine. All the bikes I've ever been around have never been this tight when grabbing the clutch.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Well sure, all bikes are different. As far as your 91 kdx, the bike is heavier, and the clutch is probably worn slap out. More weight on the rear tire and a clutch that doesn't grab as well may assist with pushing the bike in gear with the clutch pulled in. As far as "all the bikes you've ever been around", I know nothing about them. I can reiterate what I said in my first post, but I don't see the point in doing so. You know, that whole beating a dead horse thing kinda gets old.

If the clutch works when the bike is running, what difference does it make? Do you really need to be able to push your bike when the engine is off, and it's in gear? Just put it in neutral! That's just how it is. Stop fretting and go ride.

J.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom