Engine Rebuild....

KDXMan1

Aug 3, 2004
Well, I was noticing that the oil level on the '79 KDX400 was going down alot, and a all of the sudden, it stopped at idle speed, and the engine was siezed up a bit. I wish I would have known that the crank seal was leaking, it ended up pulling the air in, after it sucked the oil in. I checked every where for rings. My dealer said the only way to get them, would be through Bike Bandit, for 69.26. That sure is alot! I can get the seals pretty ok cheap, and the new gaskets. I was thinking ( let me know if this is REALLY stupid ) , that since, after I poured alot of oil into the plug hole, while the engine was still hot, and it loosened right up, with out hardly a bit of force. I might just re-ring it, put something thick with a voo-doo crank seal stuff in the tranny, and just keep an eye on it. It would go a whole day, before it got really low. I'll probably only ride it a few more weeks and then snowmobiling will start. Anybody know where I can get cheap rings? I asked Kawi, and they said to try a salvage yard or E-b-a-y. Thanks for any help!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…