Engine rev while clutch disengaged?

BarbWire

Sep 1, 2008
Just bought a 1993 cr 250 yesterday, cleaned it out and took it for a little test ride behind my house. It was running pretty good. Today i started it up and took it for another small ride, heres where things went south.

Put it into first and off i went, i was just going around in first. Than i decided to get into second. Ok gave it a little gas, let up on it and slowed down. I Clutched in, shifted into first and with the clutch still in the engine started revving really high

I dont understand why it is doing this i just started it up again and same thing, i was just in first and pulled the clutch in and it began revving so i killed it, i think it may have to do with the throttle sticking or something idk.

Any help would be appreciated

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
well, if you take the oad off then engine while you still have the throttle pulled back, then it's gonna rev sky-high.

I dunno if that's what you're talking about, though.

BarbWire

Sep 1, 2008
lol it wasnt so funny, i got some road rash :(

And no schmanman the throttle was not pulled back, simply disengaging the the clutch from first gear will make the revs jump up ALOT

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I am not sure if I completely understood what you said. Does it rev high when you shift to neutral? If it only revs high when you are still in first gear and pull in the clutch then it could be that your clutch is dragging a bit too much. Do the RPMs drop when you shift to second, but still have the clutch pulled in?

It could be that the throttle is sticking or simply that the idle speed is set too high.

Rod

BarbWire

Sep 1, 2008
rmc_olderthandirt said:
I am not sure if I completely understood what you said. Does it rev high when you shift to neutral? If it only revs high when you are still in first gear and pull in the clutch then it could be that your clutch is dragging a bit too much. Do the RPMs drop when you shift to second, but still have the clutch pulled in?

It could be that the throttle is sticking or simply that the idle speed is set too high.

Rod

In neutral the idle changes, it will go up and down whenever it wants.

I dont know about the other gears, because the bike threw me off of it earlier so i wasnt about to take into into 3rd and up.

Sorry i cant help to much im new to bikes

But if i wasnt clear in the beginning i was in 2nd gear, let off the throttle and slowed down, clutched in, shifted into first, and than the revs shot up with the clutch still in

BarbWire

Sep 1, 2008
ya my guess is that the carb is dirty and needs a good cleaning, aswell as replacing the torn rubber (boot(?))

The bike was pretty dirty when i got it, the air filter was dirty and im sure the carb cant be much cleaner.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom